is a microserver enough ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a microserver enough ?

I'm working on a proposal at the moment. The business currently has 5 laptops, and a HP all-in-one desktop that does file sharing.

They want something long term to move forward and grow with, ideally a server solution.
    I have a Microservere in my office, and I feel it's quite adequate for running HyperV, and a coulple of guests. But then, I'm only one person.

Would an 8GB Microserver, with 4 disks, and Windows Home Server, support an office of 5 people adequately ? (assuming no exchange or domain auth is required) what about 10 people... ?

I don't want to put in something underpowered, or that's good enough now but won't be in 12-18 months.
    But I also don't want to go to what I feel the next level is, which is a Dell T310, giving them plenty of space now, and to grow.. but at almost 4 times the cost, and with SBS..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: is a microserver enough ?

Not sure if you considered it, or if its appropriate, but have you explored cloud options. If you dont need exchange, and do need the scalability, it would be perfect.
    Can you elaborate on how much data and what else do they need a "server" for?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

don't need exchange just now, but may do in future.
      server is beneficial to centralise AV remote admin console, as well as provide network services like DHCP ....

I had vaguely considered cloud.. but then we've got an office of 5 people pulling and pushing the same data.. including an Access Database.. dunno how well it will go.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I hear you; QB and Access are the two biggest reason to NOT go cloud.
        I have a client, very busy office, with no server, about 25 users. They have fiber to the internet (FIOS) works great. I almost never hear from them, They love it.
        YMWV.

Not sure what to say about AV, but If you could get a nice firewall for DHCP, and then perhaps just a NAS would do??
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I'm struggling a little bit.. because I don';t beleive in over-quoting or over-complicating or over-compensating.. I beleive in giving clients what is best for them.

However.. at the back of my mind there's always this niggly little "how do you expect to run a business if you don't look out for your own interests and sell things that make you money"

Comment

We are going a bit off topic here........but

However.. at the back of my mind there's always this niggly little "how do you expect to run a business if you don't look out for your own interests and sell things that make you money"
            Certainly!! Many years ago I switched my entire business model to a very simple formula. Time = Money. Everything else is at no markup. I dont resell anything, nor markup any hardware, I dont care where the hardware comes from. I have my recommendations, but you can do what you like. I never have to match prices, nor get fished for recommendations and then loose to amazon (or whatever they call it aussie -land). I just start the clock.
            Now to the cloud, I dont even mark that up, I just buy it wholesale, and pass it along to my client. Keeps them happy, loyal, and best of all referals

Comment

If they are looking to/going to grow then I'd look at SBS Essentials which gives the option of Exchange 365 but primarily gives you a domain. Using a Workgroup might work OK for five people but many more than that and you will probably run into trouble with permissions etc.

One of the questions we always ask when speccing hardware and software is how will the business grow within it's lifetime? We usually find customers are happier to spend a bit more in the short term to cover expansion, certainly more so than if they find the shiny new server they bought a year ago is already too small for their needs.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel
                Would an 8GB Microserver, with 4 disks, and Windows Home Server, support an office of 5 people adequately
                Keep in mind CAL requirements. Can't remember if Home Server is a 5 or 10 CAL but 5 seems to stick in my head for some reason. Don't think you can add to the numbers for later growth.

Just looked at the Dell T310 specs and that doesn't look like an overkill price wise but more of a sound investment. Just customise as required.

A friend used to look after a business but sold out for health reasons. Health improved and was called by previous client who were not happy with the company who purchased his client base. They were trying to sell the business a AUD$40,000 Server. Took us 10 minutes (including a toilet break) to find a AUD$2,000 solution that did the same thing as the $40,000 package.

Previously I usully prepared a couple of options. One cheapish and the second reasonable but scalable (in extreme cases a third expensive option). With thought and practise you can prepare options that you can steer the client toward that is really the best option for them. I also had the luxury of purchasing for the Educational sector where 3 and 5 year warranties were available so I didn't have to worry about hardware failures.

It really depends on what direction you want your business to proceed. Hardware as a revenue source as well as support or as the Lior_S option more just a support type operation. Less headaches his way unless they chose the hardware and you end up copping it when their choices come back and bite you on the bum.

Being a control freak I would prefer control over the hardware purchased to maintain a proper quality of gear acquired and as such have fewer issues in that particular region. However you have to have a sufficient markup to cover any potential hardware warranty issues that may occur.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X