Memory Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Cards

A pal has given me an old Desktop with a small 40 Gig drive and 1 Gb of Ram, which I am about to try to install Ubunto Linux alongside Windows XP. In addition to a CD/ DVD drive it also has a strange small floppy drive where to port is about 1.5 inch wide and about an eighth inch high.

I appears to me for some form of older memory card, which perhaps explains why the hard drive is only 40 Gb, and My Computer shows there are extra drives EFGH presumably allocated to memory cards when in use.

Does anyone know the name of these type of old memory cards, which I might still be able to buy on EBay?

Thanks Gordon

Re: Memory Cards

Remove the "strange small floppy drive" and find some identifying numbers on it. Post them back here.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What model desktop???

Comment

It is an Acer Aspire Desktop, but I cannot see that makes any difference. They must be using a well know type of memory card.

Sorry I dare not risk muckeing about removing drives, I usually do more damage than good, like the time I just tried to replace a battery in one and broke the battery housing. But the fools who built it made it very diifficult to access the battery. However I did manage to get this PC working only because some fool had unlugged the power leads to the drives.

I did manage to install the massive 14 Gb of Ubuntu without damaging existing Windlws XP. But it took an hour and runs very slow, perhaps because on testing it ssemd to show many files are corrupted.

Comment

Sorry Gordon but I am not clairvoyant enough to be able to determine the make & model of your strange small floppy drive/some form of older memory card without any identifying numbers.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No problem I just thought someone might have know these memory cards. Actually I close inspection to the outsude with a magnifying glass I see the words Smart Media are shown as at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartMedia so I might risk buying one. A list of several cards is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_card The are three ports about 43 , 24 and 22 MM wide.

Comment

There are many different types of memory card available and without a better description or pic or machine numbers then i doubt many folks will be able to help.

Comment

Working...
              X