SAS or SSD for a server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS or SSD for a server?

Well costs are down on SSD's now and from everything I've seen they're MUCH faster than any SAS drives I know of.
    I'm looking to upgrade a server that currently has 3x SAS 15k 146GB drives in raid5.

To buy more SAS drives like it has is going to cost roughly $390 ea.

However I can buy a Sandisk 120GB SSD for only $155 + $30 SAS enclosure. OR a 240GB version for roughly $400 with the enclosure.

So I could either add more identical SAS drives to increase the RAID5 array's total size or create an additional array with SSD's.

I plan on using the server for virtualization that will run SCCM w/SQL server, possibly creating a SharePoint Server as well.

That particular SSD model has a MTBF of 1 million hours which slightly falls short of the 15k SAS' 1.2mill hour lifespan.

The specs say the new SSD's are the winner. But I've not yet wrapped my brain around all the differences between a "real" server and a desktop based server.
    Besides not optimized for SSD's, has anyone run across problems with running SSD's in RAID on older SATA/SAS controllers?
    Any thoughts?

Re: SAS or SSD for a server?

Is this a "real" Server then? Not really sure from the post. As for price, I tend to agree. Got a quote last week and the 2TB Seagate Server HDDs (no model mentioned) were AUD$672 + 10% Tax. Squeeled real loud at that price!!

My reluctance to use SSDs at present is the capacity though I would like to drop a 512GB one in my laptop.

One thing to consider is the ROE of the Server. Is it going to be worth the expense to gain that bit of extra performance though I have to admit I don't know what sort of performance gain you would get from the drives you mention over some Server quality 7,200rpm ones. Toms Hardware may be able to help and I may have to do some reading myself.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, I had been up for 24 hours and was trying to not be too wordy on the post.

Basically right now I have a SCCM server in Hyper-V on 4x WD RE4 7.2k drives in RAID10. The max/average read write speeds are great for large files, but I've learned that it doesn't improve max I/O per sec very much.
      The SCCM database is about 1.5GB, seems small to me but I kept getting errors thrown because of the disk speed being too low. (more than enough RAM and CPU)

The server I just moved it to is an older IBM x3400. The CPU is slower and there isn't enough memory.
      However, now that it is running on that server, it's much faster, even with 90% memory usage.

My main concern is reliability on the tasks I set finishing without any problems, I've had a few problems in the past due to memory errors. -Never good to come back in the morning and 15 desktops failed to completely re-image because of hardware on the server.

Comment

have you ever consider getting an external disk array, like DAS, SAN.. Dell MD3200 is pretty good or if budget allowed, Dell euqallogic with 10GB ethernet and setup tiered storage- these will give you more redundancy.

I have environment with 2x Hyper V cluster and MD3200 as shared storage, setup with tiered storage and running 15 VM, so far so good..

Comment

'Write Endurance' is still an issue with SSDs and that is why you don't see them offered in servers yet.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

There are server grade SSD but they are expensive. They use SLC as opposed to MLC. The SSD in Dell Equallogics I'm told are capable of 2500 IOPS each (compare that with a 10k SAS drive at ~180 IOPS).

If budget is a concern then you should go with SATA drives. The SSD you're looking at, judging by the price, should not be put into a server.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Is this a "real" Server then? Not really sure from the post. As for price, I tend to agree. Got a quote last week and the 2TB Seagate Server HDDs (no model mentioned) were AUD$672 + 10% Tax. Squeeled real loud at that price!!
              Thats cheap compared to what we just paid for some.

2TB disks for our EMC SAN enclosure were AU$1700 + GST

Comment

We bench tested some RAID 5 SSD's in a server platform a 3/4 months ago for a big client, admitedly we had them working very hard, we found the sustained write performance really quite poor. We ended up installing a dedicated flash array.

http://www.violin-memory.com/product...-memory-array/

Amazingly fast and simple to use is about the only way I can describe it. Unfortunatly if your on a budget its not gonna happen.

Dave

Comment

Sorry to be late to the party, but if you're seeing issues with slow disk speeds, then I would be looking to get away from 7200rpm. Look at 10k or even 15k for higher performance.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                  X