LTO Tape speed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTO Tape speed?

For whatever reason my backup job rate had degraded over time. I have a Dell PowerVault 124T LTO2 autoloader SCSI connected with Backup Exec 2010. I am backing up a little under 3TB distributed over 5 servers.

I have tweaked a few settings here and there and made good progress. I am aiming to get it back to what I think was a decent speed of 1200 - 1300MB/min.

Is 12-1300MB/min an acceptable speed for LTO2 or am I aiming too low? (real world numbers, not maximum throughput which is not obtainable in real life)

I know my disks/network is capable of at least 1900+ MB/min because that is what my B2D runs at.

Thanks
    Last edited by stylus277; 1st March 2012, 23:23.

Re: LTO Tape speed?

Is this a backup going directly to tape or is this a backup to disk then to tape? If it's a backup directly to tape then it's probably a function of the type of backup (Full, Differential or Incremental), how many files are changed (requiring them to be backed up), and the current state of the Archive bit on the files. If you're talking about a differential or incremental backup to tape then it makes sense that it would run slower as BackupExec has to check the state of the Archive bit before deciding whether the file needs to be backed up or not. This will naturally slow the job down as opposed to a Full backup where no Archive bit check occurs.

Comment

I am referring to a full backup direct to tape.

Last weekend was the first full backup-disk-tape job I have tried. The thoughput on the disk to disk was 1900MB/min+ disk to tape duplicate job ran 966MB/min.

Comment

A backup to tape is going to run slower than a backup to disk. It's a slower medium (bus, media, etc).

Comment

What interface are you using???

Looks like pretty decent speeds to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

Comment

I am using LTO-2 on SCSI U160. The stated max on is 2400MB a minute.

I am just trying to determine what a reasonable goal is.

Comment

Working...
            X