Extra Hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Hard drive

I just installed a small 10 Mb extra hard drive on an old PC, hoping to install a Linux on it sometime. I set this second drive as SLAVE, the CMOS recognises it as a secondary master, and a little box showed in Windows XP Pro that it found a new Maxtor Drive. I even used some software to run a low format in case it was needed.

But My Compter fails to display and additional drive. Any usggestions please?

Re: Extra Hard drive

I really hope you mean a 10 GB hard drive?

Have you gone into computer management and created partitions on it?
    (right click My Computer, select Manage -- sorry, no Xp boxes near by to tell you where to go after that!)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. Yes a miss type a 10 GB drive. I have not deliberately installed any partitions in the new drive, but I cannot be sure it already has one.

Do I need a partition because that is preventing My Computer displaying it. I do have a host of partition software below from EBay

eXtended Fdisk 0.9.3 - XFDISK allows easy partition creation and edition. (Dos Freeware)

Fat32 Formatter GUI 1.01 - Windows XP cannot format a volume bigger than 32GB with FAT32. (Windows Freeware)

GParted Partition Editor 0.8.0 - to create, copy, paste, delete, hide, resize or move partitions without losing data, a good freeware alternative to Partition Magic. (Linux Freeware)

Mount Drives 1.0 - Auto Mount Drives can be used to mount unmounted/hidden drives. (Windows Freeware)

Partition Table Editor 8.0 - Partition Table and Boot Record Editor. (Dos Freeware)

Partition Wizard Home Edition 5.2 - Free Partition Magic Alternative, Partition Resize/Move/Copy/Create/Delete/Format/Convert, Explore, etc. (Windows Freeware)

Ranish Partition Manager 2.44 - a boot manager and hard disk partitioner. (Dos Freeware)

Smart Fdisk 2.05 - a simple harddisk partition manager. (Dos Freeware)

SPecial Fdisk 2000.03v - SPFDISK is a partition tool. (Dos Freeware)

Super Fdisk 1.0 - Create, delete, format partitions drives without destroying data. (Dos Freeware)

The Partition Resizer 1.3.4 - move and resize your partitions in one step. (Dos Freeware)

USB Format Tool - Format/make bootable any USB flash drive to FAT, FAT32, or NTFS partition. (Windows Freeware)

Volume Serial Number Changer 1.2 - Allow you to change the drive's serial number on FAT, FAT32 and NTFS file systems. (Windows Freeware

Comment

You can create partitions in XP -- what do you see when you go into the storage section of "My Computer -- Properties"?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Since the 10 Gb drive does not even show under My Computer, and only the main drive C: it cannot show any properties fir the 10 Gb drive.

When I attepted to use Super Fdisk 1.0 below to partition the 10 Gb drive the PC froze so I suspect the drive is faulty.

Comment

Right click My Computer and choose Manage as Ossian suggested earlier. This will open the Computer Management snap-in and Disk Management is one of the options on the left hand side. You can also launch this by typing compmgmt.msc in a run box.

Unpartioned drives or drives with an unknown partition type will show-up here in Windows
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon
              I set this second drive as SLAVE, the CMOS recognises it as a secondary master
              A bit confused here Gorgon. Is it a Master or a SLAVE or are you saying that the 10GB HDD is recognised as a SLAVE on the Secondary IDE Port?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The 2 hard drives displayed correctly in CMOS at Primary Master and Prmary Slave.

But I have now dumpled the old PC.

Comment

Working...
                X