Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server spec feedback

Good day.

I'm looking to spec a server or actually a number of servers and wanted to ask some advice. I am after the following.

Active Directory/Domain Controller/DNS server
    File server with attached storage

The system needs to handle between 80 and a 150 users at any one time and would be running Windows 2003 or 2008 server not decided yet and there will also be an exchange server connected into the system at some point.

I was looking at 2 light weight servers to run as a Active Directory/Domain Controller/DNS server and then a second one to run as a secondary backup machine.

I thought the machine listed below should be sufficient for the job and wanted some feedback.

HP ProLiant DL120 G7 E3-1220 4GB-U B110i RAID 400W PS Server with 4x 160gb sas drives setup as raid 10 a secondary psu and 16gb of memory

I thought the same system may even be sufficient for a file server with attached storage and again have a secondary machine as a backup system.

Any thoughts would be grateful, I'll probably jump on the exchange part once I get some feed back from this post.

Re: Server spec feedback

IMHO do not go for anything below Server 2008 R2 or you will be losing a major chunk of your support life. Also Exchange 2010 requires a 64-bit OS

For the roles you specify, I would say you have a reasonable spec (consider growth as well), but for file storage you should consider:
    a) files grow very large, so 320 Gb is probably not enough in the long term
    b) best practice is to keep file servers off DCs to reduce security issues
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the reply much appreciated.

IMHO do not go for anything below Server 2008 R2 or you will be losing a major chunk of your support life. Also Exchange 2010 requires a 64-bit OS
      Should I be looking to put more that 16GB of memory into the server if it 64bit or do you think 16GB would be sufficent to run an Active Directory/Domain Controller/DNS server as well as a File server with attached storage (on separate machines)?

a) files grow very large, so 320 Gb is probably not enough in the long term
      The intention is to use attached storage Like an HP StorageWorks I've just not speced on yet so the 320GB would just be for the operating system.

b) best practice is to keep file servers off DCs to reduce security issues
      This is the intention to have a set of the above speced machines running the Active Directory/Domain Controller/DNS and another set running as the File server with attached storage.

My next step is to spec an exchange server is there any guide line documents any one can suggest for me such as CPU, Memory per user. There will be a migration of around 700gb - 800gb of e-mail from a Kerio server into this machine with around a 100 users and public folders.

Comment

16 Gb will be more than ample, but plan for future expansion
        For Exchange, MS do some deployment planning documents -- Exchange MAP if I remember
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X