Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server ram memory different can they work together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server ram memory different can they work together?

Id like to ask about 2 servers one of them is a HP Proliant g2 servers but my question is in one of the server we already have a Ram memory installed
    • Server1: 2 x 1GB 2RX8 PC2-5300F now i want to add plus 2 more memories with preferences: 2GB 2RX8 PC2-6400U-666 , Does anyone know are they going to work together even if the frequency is different?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Server2: And the other server has: 1x 1GB DDR 400 PC3200U So i want to add 3 more. Those 3 i bought are: 1GB 400MHZ 184PIN DIMM PC-3200U Will they work together with the one which is on server 2?

Please help me if anyone knows exactly because i dont want to try and crash the OS of the servers.Thanks alot

Re: Server ram memory different can they work together?

Non-authoritative answer:
    They shoud work together (providing same pin format / DDR level) but will work at the speed of the slowest. Having said that, some servers (Hello Dell ) are very fussy!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I spoke to a friend of mine he is saying this:

01-Feb-2012, 12:39 PM #2
      PC2-5300F implies DDR2 Fully Buffered memory whereas PC2-6400U implies DDR2 Unbuffered memory so they wouldn't fit into the same system. The speed shouldn't matter as memory speeds are generally backwards compatible but you can't run different types of memory.

The memory for the second server appears OK as they are both DDR Unbuffered, but what are the full ProLiant model numbers and part numbers on the modules so we can check compatibility for them?

What do you think?

Comment

IMHO go to crucial.com and use their tool to pick compatible RAM by specifying make/model number
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i find kingston memory selector is slightly more user friendly..

www.kingston.com
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

[email protected]
            1:05 AM (23 hours ago)

to me

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Crucial. As far as your first server goes, the only thing you need to look out for is that you aren't mixing fully buffered ( the part you already have is fully buffered, as noted by the F) with unbuffered (U suffix on the second part you listed) RAM. They will not be compatible. Concordantly, the RAM in your second server will work, because they are all unbuffered. Regardless of density of the RAM, so long as they are the same type (buffered/unbuffered) they will be compatible.

If you have further questions, please visit the Crucial Community at http://www.crucial.com/help. For sales questions, try our online chat service at http://www.crucial.com/company/contacts.aspx. Our hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Mountain Time). At Crucial, we are committed to providing high-quality products and reliable service and support.

Once again, thank you for choosing Crucial and I hope you have an outstanding rest of your week.

LUKE CONRAD
            Sales & Support Representative
            Tel: (800) 336-8896 (US & Canada only)
            Tel: (20 363-5790
            Fax: (20 363-5501
            mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X