Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-Mode Display Port to HDMI?

Hi,

I just bought my wife an HP 6200 Pro Core i5 PC and a 23" x2301 LED monitor ... all very nice too.

The monitor takes VGA, DVI & HDMI ... the system has VGA & Display Port out. The Display Port has the "Two Plusses P" symbol against it indicating dual mode Display Port standard which should (according to Wikipedia) support conversion to HDMI with a suitable cable. I bought such a cable (albeit a cheap one) but it doesn't appear to work. I haven't tried getting into the PC's BIOS yet mainly because it boots quicker than the monitor comes to life.

An obvious solution is to buy a low-profile HDMI graphics card but, before I go that more expensive route, does anyone have any idea how I can use HDMI using my existing set-up (IOW am I doing something wrong)?

Thx

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Dual-Mode Display Port to HDMI?

IIRC there are HDMI connectors that support HDMI only and others that support VGA "pass through" as well -- additional pins for the latter, so it is possible the cable may not match the port
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      IIRC there are HDMI connectors that support HDMI only and others that support VGA "pass through" as well -- additional pins for the latter, so it is possible the cable may not match the port
      I think you mean DVI. HDMI doesn't support analog signals.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry -- you are absolutely correct
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

you mentioned you can't get into the bios because the screen takes too long to power on.

Here's something that might help.
          As soon as you turn on the computer, wait about 2 seconds, then hit the PAUSE button on your keyboard... (Yes, that key has a purpose, but only during low-level operations)
          that might pause it, while the screen powers up. Then you can hit space to unpause, then Delete, or F12, or whatever it is HP use to fire up their bios these days.

(Alternately, just try hitting the bios-entry key from the moment you turn the power on. that might do it as well)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi there, it's my first post so be kind...

I just got a new laptop with a VGA port and Display Port ++ (dual mode). I'm trying to hook my laptop to two external monitors and have the screen stretch between the two monitors (if the laptop could be used as a 3rd that'd be cool, but not necessary). I'll plug the VGA in and then I'm looking to get a display port to DVI cable or converter but I have no idea which to get as there are active converters, passive converters, and single link and double link. As the display port is dual mode, i think i need the passive one, but unclear if that's true and then if i need single or double link. Any advice would help as I've been searching all morning and still am unclear.

Thanks

Comment

Star-Tech makes a DataPort to HDMI adaptor for $28 USD. I just used one on a Dell Presicion T3500 to Samsung HDMI TV. It worked great.
              Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
              X