COMS Serial port data transfers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMS Serial port data transfers

I have a very old Compaq LT ELITE laptop running Win 95 with no USB port of course, and the floppy drive cannot be replaced.

Does anyone know of any preferably free software I could use to slowly transfer data with a null modem cable through the coms serial ports? I have an ancient DOS program below I used some time ago but I am no sure if it will still work under Windows XP on two PCs.

Gordon

-------
    Instructions for ZIP.COM
    Fast File Transfer Utility
    version 2.15 (26 Oct 2000)

(c)1988-2000 E. Meyer

Requires: Two PC compatible computers with DOS 3.x or above,
    including Windows 95/98; Serial null modem cable.

Re: COMS Serial port data transfers

If this is a "one off" just remove the HDD and mount it (USB drive cage perhaps) on the target PC

Otherwise how about a crossover LAN cable?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Failing that, look at HyperTerminal, and use the X-modem function.

It'd be simpler, though, to use a networking cross-over cable, and have TFTPServer (free download) running on the destination PC to accept the transfer.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your interest

No HyperTerminal is mentioned in this Win 95 Control Panel

A LAN port is not shown on the old manual, only an External Storage Module Port and a PCMCIA port.

Is there a PCMCIA to USB cable made?

I must point out because the floppy drive now seldom recognises any floppies, I cannot copy any files to the laptop. This is the problem. I just noticed Ebay sell PCMCIA card to USB adaptors, but would be no use if data such as from a CD needs to to be installed on the laptop which has no CD Drive.
        Last edited by GordonSweet; 27th January 2012, 15:20.

Comment

You may still be able to get a PCMCIA card with a USB port on it, alternatively a LAN port

Then again, why not treat yourself to a new Win7 laptop and if you really need Win9x, run it under Virtual PC
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Quite right but I just want to reclaim a few data files from the Laptop and add a few new ones.

Comment

Direct Cable Connection is the program to use in Windows 95.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpdcc9i.html
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

A version of HyperTerminal was included in the older flavors of Windows, and a newer one is available for free download. Once installed, it's opened from it's program folder shortcut under your Start button menu, not Control Panel.

Get yourself a null-modem serial cable, download HyperTerminal, read up on file transfer methods in the Help files for the software, and you're off.
                *RicklesP*
                MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                  A version of HyperTerminal was included in the older flavors of Windows, and a newer one is available for free download. Once installed, it's opened from it's program folder shortcut under your Start button menu, not Control Panel.

Get yourself a null-modem serial cable, download HyperTerminal, read up on file transfer methods in the Help files for the software, and you're off.

HyperTerminal (by Hilgraeve), which was included free in previous versions of Windows is no longer free. A free trial is available but the software is no longer free.

http://www.hilgraeve.com/

Comment

Windows 95 you say? You may be in luck. I've used intersvr & interlnk on Windows 95 to connect two computers via serial connection and transfer data. It's been a long time so I don't remember the specifics, but take a look and see if it fits the bill for you.

Comment

Thanks. Actualy I have taken a chance and and ordered a PCMCIA to USB cardbus below. I dunno how it works but I am hoping to be able to link the laptop ro a PC with Win XP for data transfer using a USB cable.

Has anyone a clue how if works and if the usual USB male / female cable is used?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-F5U...item2eb8b54b72

Comment

It normally requires a special USB cable with 2 flat rectangular ends -- typically there is some "blob" in the middle presumably to cross over the input and output

Search for "USB Transfer Cable" or similar
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Yes I will have to see what comes by post. I of course already have a Male to female USB cable and I see Ebay sell a Male to Male

The picture has Notebook Card on the board. I hope that does not mean it is restticted to TXT files!

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                            Yes I will have to see what comes by post. I of course already have a Male to female USB cable and I see Ebay sell a Male to Male

The picture has Notebook Card on the board. I hope that does not mean it is restticted to TXT files!
                            That's funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

What version of Windows 95 are you running Gordon? If it's an early release I'm not sure it'll support USB at all, can't remember that far back if it was a patch or a new release (E.g. like 98 SE) that added the USB support.
                              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X