Tape drive taking a vacation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape drive taking a vacation

We have an external HP Storageworks ultrium 215 that has suddenly decided to not do backups. I have rebooted the server (SBS 2003) and removed/reinstalled the drive.

Windows sees it under device manager.
    HP Libarary and Tape Tools 4.14 saw it earlier today but after removing/reinstalling one more time no longer sees it.
    BackupAssist does not see it when I run the tape drive detector
    I have restarted the removable storage service.

Any other ideas how I might troubleshoot this?

Re: Tape drive taking a vacation

My experience has been that the best way to stop/restart with tape drives (assuming SCSI here?) is to shut down the server and pull its power cables. Then do the same for the tape unit, leave it off mains for at least 30 seconds. Plug the tape drive in and turn it on, wait for it to COMPLETE its startup routine, and THEN restart the server.

If the drivers are installed, it should be recognized. Watch the PC going through POST, see if the SCSI card BIOS is recognized, and if any status messages show about the tape drive ID. If not, you may have cable/controller issues.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Use L&TT to update the firmware as well if it isn't already at the latest version. It should be able to download it directly for you.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Check the SCSI number on the device, too. I seem to recall that you should not assign No. 6 (or it might be 7) to the device.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          Check the SCSI number on the device, too. I seem to recall that you should not assign No. 6 (or it might be 7) to the device.
          7 is normally the controller ID, so shouldn't be used. Is the Tape Drive detected during POST? Normally the SCSI initialisation should show 2 devices (at least), the tape drive and the controller.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X