Wireless network not connecting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless network not connecting

I have a Dell latitude D830, and cannot connect to my wireless router,only ethernet.

I have reinstalled windows, installed all appropriate drivers, and the ball just bounces back and forth. I have gone into preferred devices and dumped the router, remove drivers, install again, nothing. I gave a static ip, nothing. I tried putting another card in, from another laptop, same wireless model #, uninstalled the old drivers installed new ones, nothing. I tried windows update to install driver, nothing. Ball just bounces back and forth, I can see all routers ssid's, it asks me for password, connects, but no ip address. I have tried using wireless zero, nothing

Does anybody have any idea where the problem could be?

Thanks

Re: Wireless network not connecting

Does your router have anything like MAC Filtering which is blocking the connection?
    What happens if you try connecting to another router?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's not the Dell D830 that's your problem, we use them as well.

If the 'bouncing ball' is showing up, the wireless connection is working. The problem is the DHCP lease not being issued inside the secure connection. I've seen this before--some devices just won't play nice together.

Try removing all security from the router wireless (no MAC filter, no WPA or WEP, SSID broadcast turned on) and see if it all works that way. If it does, turn security items back on and try again.

If it all works 'in the clear', but not with security in force, try turning your wireless security back on, but manually set the IP address on a specimen laptop' wireless NIC and see what happens. You could try to reserve the same IP to that laptop's MAC on the router's DHCP scope to make sure you don't get a conflict, but it may simply be the firmware of your Dells doesn't like the make/model/firmware of your router.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Check the Certificates and see if any are in there causing problems.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

1. can you connect to another wireless router
          2. can another laptop connect to this wireless router?
          3. are you using a fairly standard home network, or is it more of an enterprise grade solution? (this question can, in most cases, isolate a number of things, like the certificates biggles mentioned..)

Originally posted by ricklesp
          It's not the Dell D830 that's your problem, we use them as well.
          "It's not the router that's the problem, because I use that router too."

Just because you use the same models, and don't have problems, doesn't mean his model couldn't have a problem. maybe he dropped the laptop a bit, and the internal wireless card is just a tiny bit loose. Or one of the antenna cables is crimped.

The fact that he has tried (what I assume is) a valid static IP for the network, and still fails to connect, suggests that maybe it's not DHCP.

I would also try making a full backup of the router configuration, then doing a factory reset. (Make sure you know your internet passwords etc!)
          don't configure it at all (it will normall have insecure wireless activated by default) and see if you can connect then -this is closely equivalent to removing the security that ricklesP mentioned.
          Last edited by tehcamel; 17th January 2012, 22:16.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for responding guys,

Ossian,

yes, but i don't have mac filtering on, i cannot connect to another router

RicklesP,

I had tried that as well, didn't work, except for "try to reserve the same IP to that laptop's MAC on the router's DHCP scope" not sure what you mean there, or how to do it.

biggles77,

how do you do that

tehcamel,

1) no
            2) yes
            3) standard, linksys, a couple computers connnected to iy, wireless, hardwired.

i did try to put a diffrent card in, same model # that worked on the laptop it came from, checked the connection, it moved side to side a little, but all connections were making contact. Good point in the laptop being dropped, but this is my dj laptop, PROMISE YOU, NEVER BEEN DROPPED , THANK GOD!!!!! LOL.

I have set the router back to factory defaults several times. No need in saving config, not a big deal, thanks though.

I never did bring it to my job and try one of my routers there, i'm assuming there would be no diffrence, kinda interested about the certificates that you and biggles 77 were talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe 310
              biggles77,

how do you do that
              http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms788967.aspx

I would suggest comparing the results to the machine that is working.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks biggles77

Comment

Working...
                X