Faulty PC startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty PC startup

For years I have had problems with various PCs after being in use for awhile, where they fail to startup properly. Although part of the problem is caused by allowing certain software to dump unnecessary rubbish in the startup folder, I only recently found the problem appears to be more likely because I have been silly enough to manually press the start button on the Desktop instead of using the Windows close down procedure under the bottom left START. This presumable can interrupt the power supply while the System is still active, hence a box sometimes appears warning it still needs to close down something not normally showing.

What a pity the nerds at Microsoft do not have the sense to emphasise the importance of NOT pressing the desktop start button, even though for years it appeared to me to be closing down the PC OK. Because since I stopped doing this the PCs have always stated up perfecty.

Re: Faulty PC startup

To be fair to the "nerds", the power button is not controlled by Windows, but by the BIOS so there is no way to override it, and it can prove very useful on occasion.

I certainly have known about NOT using the power button since Win9X days, although where that knowledge came from is lost in the mists of time.

IIRC power options (certainly in Win7 and probably in XP) allow you to configure the behaviour of a SHORT push on the button including sleep and hibernate as well as shut down, but a long push (of more than about 5 seconds) will always do a hard shutdown.

Didn't the startup warnings that "windows was not properly shut down" give you any hints?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have NEVER seen a warning with XP on any PC that I has used the Button to close down previously. But I see a warning everytime on an old Compaq using Win 95 if I use the do not close down properly, such as using the ON / OFF slide switch again while the laptop is on.

Comment

I have NEVER seen a warning with XP on any PC that I has used the Button to close down previously
        Sorry Gordon but do you want to try that again. Also keep in mind there is a difference between brand name PCs (like Compaq) and greyware PCs. Compaq, HP, Dell etc usually customise their BIOS. The HP Vectra is one that I remember vividly due to the Power Supply having a "little wire" going to the BIOS. If you tried using a non HP Power Supply the machine wouldn't boot.

The old AT power supplies had a power on/power off switch that physically disconnected power to the motherboard, just like a light switch. ATX power supplies on the other hand have a soft power on/off switch and the motherboards are continually live (with electricity) unless you physically disconnect the power cable or turn off the power switch at the wall (or the back of the PSU if it has a switch) and the motherboards often had an LED that showed you when the board was "live". The Compaq Win95 machines you refer to could be shutdown using the soft power off switch that these machines had. There were however issues with these early machines with hotfixes or those stupid SPxxxxxx.exe updates that Compaq issued being issued to "fix" the soft shutdown issue. Microsoft even published Shutdown Patches for Windows 98 to rectify issues with the Soft Shutdown not working correctly.

All Desktops running Windows XP and up I have shutdown using the power button on the front of the case or setup with a Shutdown script if it was more appropriate. Was certainly good for easily shutting down 30+ machines in a Computer Lab with 2 mouse clicks. Laptops have been configured to use the Power Button to Shutdown, Fn + Sleep Button to put the device into Sleep Mode and closing the lid to Hibernate it.

Is there a question in your post that we could answer Gordon or were you just making some observations about about operating systems that are now up to 16 years old?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I would rather not try either this older PC or the latest with 4 Gb Ram ready for Win7 one day by pressing the Consol button to close down, because I suspect as the Defrag shows it seems to corrupt more files, thus Making it less likely to startup properly next time. So I may even have to run a defrag on either in Safe mode to get it to startup properly again. I mentioned this in case others have problems with a PC that often fails to startup properly. Incidentally the shop that sold me the new PC claimed MS have banned them from installing anything but Win 7 on it, so I had to install a Win XP CD of mine still unused on any other PC.

The ancient Compaq Laptop I still have working, is a LTE ELITE 4/75C. The floppy drive seldom reads Floppies so often the only way to transfer data is if I can manage to get an old DOS program to work between it and a PC with a NULL MODEM cable. The battery now of course no longer holds a charge. However I have managed to get a fancy new 32 inch flat screen TV to display the screen using a VGA lead.

Comment

I power on and shutdown using the "power button" on the case and have been doing this since I have had an ATX power supply on Windows 98 and the Shutdown Patch installed and working. I have also used the same proceedure on Windows XP for the last 9+ years plus Windows Vista and Windows 7 since before they were released to the general public and have NOT had any fragmentation issues as a result of that (nor have I suffered any shutdown issues). How could I get fragmentation issues from an incorrect shutdown? I may get corruption issues but not fragmentation ones.

Why not find an old PCMCIA NIC and connect your dinosaur to a more real machine using a switch or a null hub cable. Damn sight faster and easier than using Laplink Pro or other Parallel Port connection programs. Besides, if you purchase a new machine it is unlikely to have a Parallel Port on the motherboard so you would have to purchase a card with the appropriate ports. Computer markets here in OZ are overflowing with the 3Com 10/100 Realport cards. The beauty of them is they don't require a dongle and you plug the patch lead directly into the card. Worth noting that these are a Type II card (due to being able to take the RJ45 plug they are thicker) and as such requre a Type II port Last time I saw one the price was AUD$5 (about 3.36 lbs). I would imagine a Type I card being a similar price but you would need to make sure you get a working dongle with it.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X