General Recommendation for free space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Recommendation for free space

Hello, I am helping to maintain a network of workstations and servers. For the workstations which are all windows machines, I was wondering what the recommended amount of free space to keep is especially on larger drives 500GB-1TB?

20% seems like a lot only because of huge hard drives (1 TB, 20% is 200 GB).

Thank you

Re: General Recommendation for free space

The simplest answer is along the lines of double the distance from the middle of the string to either of its ends...

We don't know what OSes are being used, or hardware specs of workstations (which may influence the requirements for virtual memory). We don't know what they're being used for and therefore how much temporary data is stored during use, whether this is a domain environment or standalone machines, whether any data is being stored on the workstations or if it is all being stored on servers.

Without a lot more detail, we can't begin to give you a useful answer. Please post back with as much detail as possible.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Apologies ,

Most are running XP Professional, with a few newer machines using windows 7,

The machines are not used to vigorously except a few machines that are used for application and web development.

This is a domain environment with most data being stored on individual workstations, however there is some stored on servers.

I couldnt tell you how to check how much temporary data is being stored during use because I am not sure how to figure that out.

all have pentium 4 and above class processors (all intel).
      Most have 2-4 four GB of ram with exceptions of ones that have 1GB or less, and a few that have 12GB or more.

I am just an intern and trying to work my way into the IT field.

Thank you for your help. Hope this suffices.

Comment

There are no hard and fast figures -- windows will stop functioning effectively (but still runs) when free space = 0

IMHO if < 5% of space on OS partition/volume, you have a problem, but thats a personal opinion
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Try defragging anything under 15% free space and see what happens.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good call, but I always feel defrag is there to make you feel better, rather than have much practical effect!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Try defragging anything under 15% free space and see what happens.
              Even a 1TB hard drive? I guess I have yet to test this but would windows still have a problem with this?

Comment

Yes -- Windows Defrag objects if free space is below a %age, not an absolute amount:
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283080
                Note it can be over-ridden if required
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Windows XP will not defrag anything 750GB and larger. A quite good third party defrag app is Defraggler.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X