Recover Data From Raid 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover Data From Raid 1

I have two drives which were in a RAID 1 array. There is no external backup. The motherboard has failed and there is no motherboard available that is the exact same part.

I've put one of the drives into a External USB drive bay, and it shows unformatted. Segate file recovery can recover the data, but is there any way to recover the data as some type of image (Acronis, Clonezilla) onto another drive since I can't put it back into a raid?

Re: Recover Data From Raid 1

wht happens if you put the other drive into that system and check it in the same way.... ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Good question, it shows empty... User said it was in raid 1...

Not sure why the other shows empty... if it wasn't a raid and was just NTFS, even motherboard dying, I should be able to view in Windows... It's a vista machine.

Has only 1 file: msdia80.dll
      Last edited by chakotay2; 26th November 2011, 02:14.

Comment

What RAID controller was used?
        Assuming not native Windows, file recovery software seems the way to go -- then copy it onto another drive as a JBOD NTFS drive
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          What RAID controller was used?
          Assuming not native Windows, file recovery software seems the way to go -- then copy it onto another drive as a JBOD NTFS drive
          I was able to find some raid recovery software... Customer had apparently not done backups, and put it in a raid 0 for speed!

Found a software package which worked great. Thanks for everyone's suggestions/input.

Comment

Hope this has scared the customer enough that they now do backups.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'd like to think so... but with this one... I have a feeling I'll see him again real soon... Oh, and did I mention he wants it done for nothing ($$$)... Lol...

Anyway, thanks for the wishes!

Comment

awesome.
                I got a quote opportunity on serviceseeking the other day, to recover data from a hard drive.
                I wasn't going to touch it with a barge pole..
                if i ever need to do that, i'll be sending it to somewhere like dataretriever.com.au
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yeah, this originally was a "My computer won't turn on" call... usualy a PSU, but in this case bad MB... He was all bent out of shape when I told him it would cost him an extra $45.00 (US) for the data recovery!!!!

My partner forgot to have him sign our TOS agreement so I'm being very flexible, but otherwise I would have told him to come get his computer and go to the Geek [Er, "local big box store"] and see what type of treatment he'd get!

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
                    I'd like to think so... but with this one... I have a feeling I'll see him again real soon... Oh, and did I mention he wants it done for nothing ($$$)... Lol...
                    You gotta be crapping me. Why are you expected to provide a service for FREE when numbnuts hasn't done a backup. A friend of mine spent several hours and recovered AUD$800,000+ worth of data from a screwed drive and the miserable lady bits didn't even say thank you. If it happens again their business is going down the tubes. Oh yes, he had even implimented a backup proceedure but the ID 10 Ts couldn't be stuffed swapping the backup HDD each day. Click image for larger version

Name:	bang-head-wall.gif
Views:	11
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	466412
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      You gotta be crapping me. Why are you expected to provide a service for FREE when numbnuts hasn't done a backup. A friend of mine spent several hours and recovered AUD$800,000+ worth of data from a screwed drive and the miserable lady bits didn't even say thank you. If it happens again their business is going down the tubes. Oh yes, he had even implimented a backup proceedure but the ID 10 Ts couldn't be stuffed swapping the backup HDD each day. [ATTACH]5122[/ATTACH]
                      I have to have home users right now since I only do this PT until I retire in 2.34 years (not that I am counting). Home users want you to spend hours to save $10.00 on a PC... When I can retire, I'm going to transition to business only.

Comment

Working...
                      X