No announcement yet.

Diferrence between HP drives

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diferrence between HP drives

Hi everyone!

Could anyone explain me what's the difference between a "Dual port 10k" drive and a "6G DP 15k" ?

I'd really appreciate the help!

Re: Diferrence between HP drives

Well, the 10K and 15K refers to the spin speed (therefore the access time) -- faster is beter.
    No idea about the "Dual Port" (which I presume is the same as DP)
    6G is 6GB/sec transfer speed
    More details here:
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thank you.

Well just explain my situation:
      I have 3 drives (dual port 10k SAS MDL) at a HP server where the server only recognizes one. Changing it to 3 x 6G DP 15k drives, it recognizes the 3 of them.

Any idea why?

maybe 2 o f the drives are faulty?
        have you tried them in another device ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

If you plug all 3 drives in, only one works.... what happens if you only plug one hard drive in? What happens with the other 2 hard drives if you put them in one at a time?

Also, I am assuming that there is no RAID setup.

Other then that, for this type of hardware you should have full HP tech support, give them a call and get them to talk you though it, and failing that they will send a tech onsite for free.

Other then that, would be testing the drives one at a time, and then I would be plugging them into an OS with Disk recovery tools, and see if they can see the other 2 disks.

But really, call HP, you should have a full warrenty.

Garth Leahy
          If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
          IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Forgive my ignorance, but seeing they are selling both 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives on eBay are the 3.5 inch drives the ones normally installed in a desktop.

My PC has a Maxtor STM 160 gig drive can I use any other drive ?