Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Bulid

Hi guys,

Im new to all this and need some help! Trying to bulid my 1st PC.

this is what i have so far, any ideas? Don't wanna spend a massive amount of money but make sure its worth while.

Asus P8Z68-V LX - Motherboard

Kingston 16GB 2.5" SATA-II S100 SSD

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB

Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache

Sharkoon T9 Value Gaming Case Black with Green LED Fans

DeepCool Ice Edge 400FS Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Windows 7

Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1066Mhz

Novatech Gaming 400W Silent ATX2 Modular Powe

Will this all work together? if not any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by biggles77; 17th October 2011, 20:00. Reason: Change line spacing to fit on one screen

Re: 1st Bulid

400W PSU is a bit on the small side these days, but it depends on the Graphics Card (not specified above) you are planning to use
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      400W PSU is a bit on the small side these days, but it depends on the Graphics Card (not specified above) you are planning to use

I was just going to use the imbulid one at the start, you have any ideas for a psu? Whats the rest of it like?

Comment

Use an online Power Supply Calculator and see what your really need. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

If that isn't enough help, http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&suge...w=1366&bih=572
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

First thigns First... What will this PC be used for?

If this is for Gaming, then it will fail.
          If this is for watching HD movies, it will fail.

If this is for anything other then Doc Entry and maybe alittle web browsing, it will fail.

It seems this is a gaming PC, and if thats the case, then the single most important thing in the computer will be the Video card. Most CPU's will run most games these days, but what Video Card you have will decided what games you can run, how good they look, how many monitors you ru them on, and what level of Direct X you can use. All VERY important for Gaming.

To Sum up, you have...
          Quad 3.4 Ghz CPU
          8GB of Ram,
          2 TB Hard Disk
          16GB SSD System Drive
          400W PSU
          No Video Card

This is what I would class a "gaming" system, except your missing the video card (the most important part). I would recommend you pick the Video card first (as this is a BIG question, and you re best to build a system around your Video Card if your a gamer).
          First Question is if you want to SLI/Crossfire the cards, if you are going to, you want an i7, if you are not going to SLI, look at a AMD Phenom. They are normally less then half the cost, and My brother and I did an experiment, and my AMD system runs better then his i7 (at abotu 1/3rd the cost as the MB's are also dirt cheap). The i7 only really shines when you SLI your cards, as its designed with SLI in mind.

The 2nd question is do I want any special effects (Eyefinty, 3d, VR), if so, that will point you to your brand (ATI for Eyefinty, Nvida for 3d, Currently no one really supports VR (Nvida looks like they are the closest, but I have seen custom ATI riggs that rock nvida)). It will also lead you to the exact model of Card.

Other then that, you will need a large PSU, and alot larger. If you want to put 2 Video cards into your system I would look at getting a 1000watt True Power Supply. This will set you back more then your CPU, but you will not be able to SLI, use water cooling, or a heap of Hard drives (Possibly even the number of Drives you have currently will overload the PSU).

Can I recommend that you ask us what you want the computer for, and we can design you one, otehrwise you can PM me and I will happly help you out.

If its not for gaming, buy a HP.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
            First thigns First... What will this PC be used for?

If this is for Gaming, then it will fail.
            If this is for watching HD movies, it will fail.

If this is for anything other then Doc Entry and maybe alittle web browsing, it will fail.

It seems this is a gaming PC, and if thats the case, then the single most important thing in the computer will be the Video card. Most CPU's will run most games these days, but what Video Card you have will decided what games you can run, how good they look, how many monitors you ru them on, and what level of Direct X you can use. All VERY important for Gaming.

To Sum up, you have...
            Quad 3.4 Ghz CPU
            8GB of Ram,
            2 TB Hard Disk
            16GB SSD System Drive
            400W PSU
            No Video Card

This is what I would class a "gaming" system, except your missing the video card (the most important part). I would recommend you pick the Video card first (as this is a BIG question, and you re best to build a system around your Video Card if your a gamer).
            First Question is if you want to SLI/Crossfire the cards, if you are going to, you want an i7, if you are not going to SLI, look at a AMD Phenom. They are normally less then half the cost, and My brother and I did an experiment, and my AMD system runs better then his i7 (at abotu 1/3rd the cost as the MB's are also dirt cheap). The i7 only really shines when you SLI your cards, as its designed with SLI in mind.

The 2nd question is do I want any special effects (Eyefinty, 3d, VR), if so, that will point you to your brand (ATI for Eyefinty, Nvida for 3d, Currently no one really supports VR (Nvida looks like they are the closest, but I have seen custom ATI riggs that rock nvida)). It will also lead you to the exact model of Card.

Other then that, you will need a large PSU, and alot larger. If you want to put 2 Video cards into your system I would look at getting a 1000watt True Power Supply. This will set you back more then your CPU, but you will not be able to SLI, use water cooling, or a heap of Hard drives (Possibly even the number of Drives you have currently will overload the PSU).

Can I recommend that you ask us what you want the computer for, and we can design you one, otehrwise you can PM me and I will happly help you out.

If its not for gaming, buy a HP.

Wofen
            Hello,

thanks for the feedback.

To be honest the only game ive played or even thought about playing was football manager so a high quality graphics card isnt much of an issue.
            Yes i do watch HD videos etc but for the same reason as the graphics card i wanted to bulid the system 1st then worry about cards after.

You are right the PSU needed changing, right after i posted this i changed to a 800w PSU.

As for the AMD ive never used one so what would you recommend for the MB and the CPU?

Comment

I use the AMD 965 BE. I have mine on a water loop OC'ed to 4.2Ghz per core, and have never had any problems with it at all. With Air Cooling, the highest I could get stable was 3.9Ghz.
              This is just on a dirt cheap Gigabyte Motherboard (the shop was out of everythign except the most basic of basic), but I would look at getting a New Gigabyte if I was upgrading.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 = $164
              AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHZ Black Edition = $139

I would NEVER recommend using on board Video, as you will not be able to watch movies, or even use Aero.

Also, you told us what the PC is NOT for, can you please just tell us what you will be using it for. Then we could give you our exact recommendation.

I will make it easy for you.
              Is it...
              A) Gaming
              B) Database Design
              C) Video Encoding
              D) Web Work
              E) You tube
              F) Linux
              G) Word Processing
              H) Programing

Each one of the above would be a very different system, each with a different CPU, different amount and type of RAM and HDD's. Just tell us, and we will give you exact specs.

Wofen
              Good to be back....

Comment

I use the AMD 965 BE. I have mine on a water loop OC'ed to 4.2Ghz per core, and have never had any problems with it at all. With Air Cooling, the highest I could get stable was 3.9Ghz.
                This is just on a dirt cheap Gigabyte Motherboard (the shop was out of everythign except the most basic of basic), but I would look at getting a New Gigabyte if I was upgrading.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 = $164
                AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHZ Black Edition = $139

I would NEVER recommend using on board Video, as you will not be able to watch movies, or even use Aero.

Also, you told us what the PC is NOT for, can you please just tell us what you will be using it for. Then we could give you our exact recommendation.

I will make it easy for you.
                Is it...
                A) Gaming
                B) Database Design
                C) Video Encoding
                D) Web Work
                E) You tube
                F) Linux
                G) Word Processing
                H) Programing

Each one of the above would be a very different system, each with a different CPU, different amount and type of RAM and HDD's. Just tell us, and we will give you exact specs.

Wofen
                I am going to use it for the following -

1. HD Video playback and upload
                2. Internet browser (flash, java etc)
                3. You Tube
                4. Word and excel
                5. Outlook
                6. Running maybe one or two vitural machines so i can have a play around with LION OS, XP etc (only one would be running at any one point)
                7. VB and C code writing

I was thinking the following -

Intel i7 (enough cores to run my vitural machines)
                16gb RAM 1600mhz
                1 SSD (to run my OS which will be 7)
                2 HDD to store and run everything else, this will be expanded probally to 4 HD's
                Raid 0 config

Comment

So some basic Text coding, Running 2 Vm's and using the internet....

Well, the computer you have speced will do all that, but you do not need anything that powerful to do waht you want. I would look at an i5 or even an i3 (I do not know how i3's handle HD shows, but I have not heard anything bad about it yet).

The biggest concern is the 2VM's and the HD shows, but if you are only using the VM for testing, do not bother specing your computer for it (VM workstation does not really need much at all (jsut alittle ram).

Personally, I would look at Buying a HP, as it will save you money at the moment. If you want to build a whitebox, then you need to think about saving money.

Intel i7 (enough cores to run my vitural machines)
                  16gb RAM 1600mhz
                  1 SSD (to run my OS which will be 7)
                  2 HDD to store and run everything else, this will be expanded probally to 4 HD's
                  Raid 0 config
                  First off, All of the CPU's i have listed are quad cores, and the AMD is only slightly slower then that (Its really the same in real world test, my Brother has a i7 Setup, I have an AMD, and he gets about 0.05% (Yes, that is less then 1%) better score in 3d Mark Vantage.

16GB of Ram is ALOT, I have that in my system and I have 3-6 VM's running ATM, I have Dues Ex HR open and running in back ground, Star Craft, I have 2 HD shows Playing (Movie on one VM, and TV show on my pc), run Win 7 Ult with Everything on, and still do not use all my ram. But in saying that, Ram is CHEAP, so get as much as you can.

I would also put the 2x1TB drives into a RAID 1 array. I have lsot 3TB of data recently, and TBH, I would give anything to have just placed an extra drive on it. Re DL'ing 100GB is not a problem, re DL'ing 1 TB sucks.

The Parts you have given us will work together, but I have not seen anything that would make me recommend anything but a basic system (i5/i3 processor).

Also, I do not know what the prices are like in your area, but where I live, AMD and i3/i5's are CHEAP, i7's are still freaking expensive.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

So some basic Text coding, Running 2 Vm's and using the internet....

Well, the computer you have speced will do all that, but you do not need anything that powerful to do waht you want. I would look at an i5 or even an i3 (I do not know how i3's handle HD shows, but I have not heard anything bad about it yet).

The biggest concern is the 2VM's and the HD shows, but if you are only using the VM for testing, do not bother specing your computer for it (VM workstation does not really need much at all (jsut alittle ram).

Personally, I would look at Buying a HP, as it will save you money at the moment. If you want to build a whitebox, then you need to think about saving money.

First off, All of the CPU's i have listed are quad cores, and the AMD is only slightly slower then that (Its really the same in real world test, my Brother has a i7 Setup, I have an AMD, and he gets about 0.05% (Yes, that is less then 1%) better score in 3d Mark Vantage.

16GB of Ram is ALOT, I have that in my system and I have 3-6 VM's running ATM, I have Dues Ex HR open and running in back ground, Star Craft, I have 2 HD shows Playing (Movie on one VM, and TV show on my pc), run Win 7 Ult with Everything on, and still do not use all my ram. But in saying that, Ram is CHEAP, so get as much as you can.

I would also put the 2x1TB drives into a RAID 1 array. I have lsot 3TB of data recently, and TBH, I would give anything to have just placed an extra drive on it. Re DL'ing 100GB is not a problem, re DL'ing 1 TB sucks.

The Parts you have given us will work together, but I have not seen anything that would make me recommend anything but a basic system (i5/i3 processor).

Also, I do not know what the prices are like in your area, but where I live, AMD and i3/i5's are CHEAP, i7's are still freaking expensive.

Wofen
                    Well the point of me bulidng was because i wanted to learn about PC componets and how to bulid them so buying a ready made PC is out of the question.

Comment

Buy a HP with the Best warrenty, Take it apart to your hearts consent, and when you break something, call them and they will replace it.

I am also just pointing out that you do not need to spead the money that you are. You could do the same for ALOT cheaper, but if money is not overly a concern, then get the i7, it will pay off if you keep playing around and want to OC and SLI stuff.

Wofen
                      Good to be back....

Comment

HP Click image for larger version

Name:	vomit.gif
Views:	8
Size:	992 Bytes
ID:	466359

Go and find components that have a 3 year warranty (ASUS and some Gigabyte boards and video) and build the sucker and end up with a 3 year warranty system instead of a pussy overpriced HP machine.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          HP [ATTACH]5038[/ATTACH]

Go and find components that have a 3 year warranty (ASUS and some Gigabyte boards and video) and build the sucker and end up with a 3 year warranty system instead of a pussy overpriced HP machine.
                          I have Never, Not Once been able to get any piece of consumer grade hardware replaced by the likes of Asus/Gigabyte. 100% of the time I am told that its "Voltage Damage" and that its not covered by the warrenty.

HP is not really over priced, you can get a standard tower for $700, and thats inculding 3 years of replacments.

I will admit that white boxes are better then branded boxes, but the warrenty makes the HP's a good deal if your planning on playing with it, as it does not matter what you break.

Wofen
                          Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                          X