Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3g iLo/DRAC (redundent External connection) device?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3g iLo/DRAC (redundent External connection) device?

Hello,

I have been looking for a iLo/Drac device (for use in a HP Server) that supports 3G internally.

I know I can get a iLo and a external 3G router, but is there no iLo with 3g built in?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Wofen
    Good to be back....

Re: 3g iLo/DRAC (redundent External connection) device?

Never seen or heard about it, but why would you want it...?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Dumber: sounds like a backup connection akin to a modem, just in case.

Wofen: I highly doubt you'll find one, primarily because server rooms aren't known to get the best cell coverage Seriously though, I can't even remember seeing a 56K modem option on any server parts page in recent times. Best to have some type of redundant network connection and/or someone on call in range of the server.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
        Dumber: sounds like a backup connection akin to a modem, just in case.

Wofen: I highly doubt you'll find one, primarily because server rooms aren't known to get the best cell coverage Seriously though, I can't even remember seeing a 56K modem option on any server parts page in recent times. Best to have some type of redundant network connection and/or someone on call in range of the server.

We ahve a redundent ADSL connection.... though the same provider as our main Fiber line.... connecting to the same exchange. I was the only one who saw a problem with this till we just had an exchange lvl fault.

And I have setup alot of 3G routers to connect the iLo/DRAC's upto, I was just wondering if there was an internal model. It is way to easy for some stupid bobcat driver to drive though a bundle of cables in the street, I dont trust it anymore, and Satilites are worse with the weather, and latancy and you still ened land based cables for the return data. 3G is a good alt, its fast, reliable and easy to set. Compaired to Satilite its dirt cheap, and super easy to get 5-6 lines from different providers and then you should never lose connection.

@Dumber : Its really easy to run an antenna, and when it allows you to connect to your servers no matter what (Say the whole building is about 2 foot under water and the place is running on battary backup and you need to migrate to your backup DC(Its happened)).

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

Well I was more curious what the reason behind this was.
          Because most of ILO based applications are dread slow because of the Java crap.

3G over here isn't that fast though. About the backup I would rather go for an other solution like a storage replication or so Also if the building is 2 feet under water, I hope your servers is at least at 3 feet
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

@Dumber... 3G in Aus is pretty good, and as we cant get Fiber (well, at a decent cost), its DSL or 3g.... or Dial up.

So, 3g is actuly a pretty good over compaired to the other options.

Also, During the Brisbane Floods that happened, our building was slightly underwater. Would of loved to be able to get in and change things.

And the speed is not really an issue, this is a DR tool, and not for day to day admin, so once in a while I can deal with 5 mins to open My Computer :P

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Ah over here most of the time it are dedicated feeds, either dedicated lines (2M up to 100Mb), optic fibre or even dark fiber where as the latter one is usually used between data centers.

3G leverages about 7Mb downstream and about 1Mb upstream IIRC. So therefore not really fast over here. Floodings almost never happens over here but history teaches us to do calculate with it.
              Most datacenters in the Netherlands are usually couple of meters above the sea level.

ADSL/SDSL is mostly used in SMB market or small remote offices, 3G or UMTS for cell phones, laptops or a backup connection on ADSL modems, and dial up??? Well I haven't seen that for a long time.

So I'm basically curious how it works in other countries
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
              X