Recover data from a hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover data from a hard drive

I had a Seagate Blackarmor NAS. I came home one day to find it was shorted out and wouldnt work. I unscrewed it all and got the 1 TB drive out of enclosure and put in a docking station hoping to see if I can get my files back.

Under disk management I can see the partitions that NAS had created but I cannot access any of the data. The partitions are greyed out and the only option I have is delete volume.

I dont hear any click noises when powering on the drive via docking station so I dont think there is any physical damage.

I know I know I am a fool for not backing up the files on here but I can give a damn about most of the files on here except for the pictures I have of my girlfriend who has passed on. It happened in July and I've been meaning to do it since. I really really would love some help in recovering these files and I dont have money to pay $500 to $1200 in recovery fees.

Please help.

Re: Recover data from a hard drive

There are applications which can help recover data, but each case is individual. Use to look for suitable software. Some can be expensive.

Also beware that attempting to recover stuff yourself can do more damage to the drive so you may want to reconsider professional recovery -- all reputable companies should make a small charge to inspect / analyse then you can decide if recovery is worthwhile.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have a friend who uses GetDataBack for NTFS and for the price is a great buy, not the ebst if youll only use it once, but I promise that you will use it more often then that once you have it.

You can also try using Hiran's boot Disk, as that has a heap of ults on it, but TBH, if you do not know what you are doing, you will lose all the data on the Drive.

It sounds like it might jsut be the MBR, and if thats the case, then you can just use chkdsk to fix it.

Personally I would see if I can get Chkdsk /r to run on the disk, and failing that, download Hirans, and use the ult on it to rebuild the MBR, but that will take days and days.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Just picked up that its a drive from a NAS, so may well not (in fact almost certainly not) be NTFS or FAT formatted

Before you do ANYTHING else, I would try to find out the (linux?) format used and see if you can find any way of reading it on a PC
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ditto what Tom just said. I have a basic NAS box and it uses the EXT3 file format. Had a quick look at your device specs but didn't see what the file format was.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

GetDataBack would be my first choice, it (luckily) hasn't failed me yet.
            "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Great ideas fellas. I will create a Linux box this weekend and see if I can see the drive that way. I have limited experience with Linux so it will be a crash course this weekend.

I wont do anything drastic to the drive.

Comment

If that fails, resort to professional recovery if the files are that important to you.

A+ CE

Comment

Great ideas fellas. I will create a Linux box this weekend and see if I can see the drive that way. I have limited experience with Linux so it will be a crash course this weekend.

I wont do anything drastic to the drive.
                  For things like this it might be wise to use a bootable Linux Kernal (Once again, Hirans Boot Disc has a Bootable Linux Distro on it), otherwise you will spend most the day playing with Linux rather then fixing the disc.

I missed that it was out of a NAS, have you contacted the company that sold/made the NAS? They should be able to help you out, as I know my NAS came with special file restore software made for it.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

The NAS drive, was it part of a raid set?
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
                      For things like this it might be wise to use a bootable Linux Kernal (Once again, Hirans Boot Disc has a Bootable Linux Distro on it), otherwise you will spend most the day playing with Linux rather then fixing the disc.

I missed that it was out of a NAS, have you contacted the company that sold/made the NAS? They should be able to help you out, as I know my NAS came with special file restore software made for it.

Wofen
                      Its a Seagate and its out of Warranty. Almost at 1 year to the date.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                        The NAS drive, was it part of a raid set?
                        No. It was just a 1 TB backup drive.

Comment

Seagate have a 1 YR warrenty, so if its ALMOST 1 year, give them a call and tell them that it broke a few weeks ago and you have been trying to recover data from it, it has worked for me more then once.

Failing that, if it is just a USB external drive (that is NOT a NAS, NAS = NETWORK attached Storage), then you can just use Get Data back for NTFS.

Wofen
                          Good to be back....

Comment

i'm definitely a big fan of Get Data Back.
                            If you don't have faulty hardware, I've found GDB to be excellent at recovering file tables.

It just takes time.. and you might need another drive to clone the recovered data on to.
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

And next time go RAID1...Or 6 :P

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
                              X