No announcement yet.

On Demand PC?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Demand PC?

I guess this is a hardware issue since the OS is just what's on the machine when it powers up.

Question: Is it possible to create a system (a home system) that will power up in response to something from outside the network and if so, what kind of setup/hardware would I need to achieve that?

The idea is that I could wake the PC then, when it is awake, RDP to it or some such.

J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: On Demand PC?

You can use Wake On Lan, however this normally won't work over the internet.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Someone wrote an app that would work on SBS when using RWW. Is not a free app though.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

WoL a machine and use something like LogMeIn, Teamviewer, or some other Remote control application.
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

I have a mobile I can call that will power my PC on.

All I did was find a old mobile number with a light that turns on, then splice that into my power switch.

I have it plugged into a internal USB point, so that it charges the phone (as my comptuer is on 24/7, and this is only to repower it after a 1 hour + power outage (life of my UPS)).

Other then that, the Best option you can get is a remote RCD (I am sure thats the abv. for it, but I can not find any examples to give you).
          You can get them in a number of models, some having a Mobile number you call, most are now being connected via 3g to power the system on over the internet.

Now, if you just want to wake the computer up (I have been cutting the power to the computer), you can just use Team Viewer.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
          IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

I've had it working in the past over the internet using

It was a while ago so I can't remember all of the config steps, but it definitely worked.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            Cruachan's Blog