[UK] Fields Data Recovery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [UK] Fields Data Recovery?

has anyone in the ?UK had any experience with these guys?
    I'm currently in the midst of learning my own personal "backup is not just for enterprise" lesson.
    They are quoting 230 (give or tak) to replace a motor and heads assembly, then another 100 to do the recovery of the data.

But I've found a site that is ditching all over them.. andI do't know.

To put it in perspective, Ontrack want 70 just to evaluate, then from 499-999 to recover it.

Another company says they will do it for "flat 249.99" - which is their standard quote.

So.. I'm not too sure (and yes, the data is important enough to be paying)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: [UK] Fields Data Recovery?

Ontrack is in the right ballpark for recovery so cheaper, if guarenteed, is good

I won't be crass enough to say "I told you so"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

but not guaranteed.. they can only 70% guarantee that the heads replacement will enable them to recover data, and we don't even know what they can recover from there.
      and if that doesn't work, it decreases our chances with other places
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What happened exactly? If the HDD seized up, you could always put it in a plastic bag, chuck it in the freezer for a bit, and then try booting it up. There's guides online for the process, but keep in mind, it's not a fix, it's a last ditch chance to get data off before going to a data recovery company.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it took a leap of the table, while running.
          I can't get it to spin up.
          they tell me the motor/heads are hammered, but that the platters are fine

in the end, i think im gonna send it to at least one more place for evaluation, then decice

Comment

Ontrack are pretty much "standard" in the way that Backup Exec is for server backup, and some of the big OEMs have a 10% off deal with them too:-
            http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk/dell/

I have in the past (once!) got away with buying a second hard drive of the same spec (Right down to the same firmware) and transferring the platter. That was a SATA drive out of a desktop though, the user of which was unable to sit down for a week after the reaming he got for ignoring data storage policies.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I held of posting this, because they still had my drive. Now, I feel no such obligation.

Just a short note to follow up on this.
              Following my post on this, and another forum, I received a call from Fields yesterday morning. Basically, they refused to further process my case, as a result of my exercising my rights as a consumer to research and ensure I am making the correct decision.

The ultimate amusement is, on the basis of some advice from another vendor, we had decided to move ahead with Fields anyway.

better yet, they emailed me same.

I have been advised by my developers that you have posted on line about our services and the report that I sent via email.

I totally understand that there is a risk that recovery may fail. As a company we prefer to provide a file list of the recoverable data and a no obligation quote.

Unfortunately we are unable to do this as we have not got the correct parts to complete the rebuild.

We can send your drive via royal mail second class, or there is an additional cost of 25 inc of vat for UPS delivery.

Please confirm which option you require.
              It's kind of amusing, because the day before, they had, or could get the parts, or at least gave the impression that they could.

ultimately - I received the drive back today, and will now be sending it to another vendor.

My main point here is,

If you have sent your drive to fields, or any of the companies that may be associated with it, don't post about it online. Apparently they have an entire team, whose sole job is trawling internet forums for posts about them.

Comment

Don't know why but the word TOSSERS just popped into my mind when I read your post. Oh how precious of them.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I should qualify a bit further...

They didn't necessarily refuse to process my drive because of my posting.
                  They just turned around and said they don't have the parts, after previously implying or suggesting they had, or could get the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    TOSSERS
                    They have a darts team too?
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What are the end of the darts called again......oh yes, pricks or is it points?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X