Email on Mobiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email on Mobiles

With my very limited amateur knowledge I do not have the faintest idea where I should post this question.

How can I tell when details of mobile phones are posted on Ebay, if they are capable of sending and receiving emails? Does below help? I understand it should be possible to transfer the Virgin SIM card in another mobile.

Key Features
    Capacity 32MB
    Colour Steel blue
    Network Technology GSM
    Band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (Quadband)
    Style Bar

Re: Email on Mobiles

Definitely NOT terminal services, but a mod will be along to move it soon

Do you have a make/model of the phone, since it is impossible to tell that from the colour.

If you don't probably avoid like the plague!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. I should have quoted the link below

All very baffling to an old codger like me that only really uses an old £20 mobile when I have to attend the hospital in case they want to keep me in !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACKBERRY...item415ba2fec3

Comment

Yes, subject to the contract you are on.
        Normally you will sign up to a "Blackberry" contract with your mobile provider, which will give you data and "BIS" email, where you can set it to pick up from another email account (POP3 or IMAP since I presume you dont run Exchange )

I would check with your mobile provider (quickly) and see how much it will cost you before bidding
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian

I was a bit too hasty in asking about this mobile. I am on a pay as you go with Virgin on my present simple little mobile. I normally NEVER attempt to bid for anything on Ebay, having been caught a couple of times by cowboys using software to automatically over bid a the last moment.

So can you please indicate what to look for in the spec that shows a mobile has email facilities.

Comment

The word "email" is normally a clue
            Most "smartphones" will offer email of some sort or other, but check the detailed specs and by all means post makes/models here for comments
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Not really, we'd need to know at least the OS on the phone.

Bear in mind though that many older phones (and not smart phones) have POP3/IMAP email support. I had a Motorola V3 and a Samsung D900, both over 3 years old now and prior to me having a work smartphone, that I could use with GMail. Best place to check if you are unsure is the manufacturers website, the manuals are always available online even for discontinued products.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. But I discovered it appears you cannot use email with any mobile unless you enter into a contract. As I am too mean to change from Pay as you go, if only because I only use mine about once year, I will not bother. I would only want to use a mobile for email occasionally when not at this PC.

As you suggested I searched for the gen on a Blackberry 8700 and after reading through umpteen pages, it appeared all it could do was phone and email, although it does have a nice full keyboard instead of the usual ghastly tiny multi tap keys. No camera, no MP3 player !

Comment

Hi Gordon

It's not true that you must be on a contract.

I have a Blackberry, and I have a tmobile pay as you go contract.
                  From there, as long as I have credit, it costs me 5£ per month, (or 20 for 6) for Blackberry Internet Service. I just text something like "6monthbb" to a number, and it activates it on my account. (and takes the money from my pre-paid credit)
                  AS far as I'm aware, the data use is unlimited

Ultimately - any model of blackberry will send and receive emails.. it's more or less their primary function..

I would definitely try and go with an 8xxx series model rather than a 7xxx - the 7series is much much older..
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes thanks I checked at the Virgin site they will allow me use my Pay as you go so I bought a Blackberry. I hope if I have to use a new email address instead of my Yahoo one I can redirect incoming mail to another address.

Comment

no - you can use an existing one.

they will basically give you access to a web interface, and you can configure it there..
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Although I took the trouble to upload manuals and new applications for this ancient Blackberry 8700 from Ebay, and it allows phone calls and text messages, it still fails to display the Globe Browser. Also the connection shows ‘edge’ instead of ‘EDGE ‘ which would indicate full services.

Although Vodaphone answered my email asking why the Browser was missing, they insist I phone them with the Blackberry, but I suspect they might charge me £1 per minute, and as usual there is a wait to get someone to answer.

Has anyone else any idea why the Browser is inactive, perhaps Internet access is no longer supported on such an old model.

Comment

I have managed to get email and the Internet running on this old Blackberry 8700, but it has limitations due to the tiny memory of 64 Mb now reduced to some 32 Mb. It will not accept the microSD memory cards of 4 to 64 Gb. So does anyone know of another way of increasing the memory? For example if I can buy a USB adapter to allow me to plug in a Flash ROM into the smaller USB port of the Blackberry will it work or do some harm?

Also forgive my ignorance is MM another name for standard Text on a mobile, if so what is the difference to SMS ?

Thanks

Comment

MM is usually "Multimedia Messaging", i.e. recording a quick video clip or sending a photo

I suspect the USB port is only for connectivity / charging purposes, and will not give additional storage. Check the manual for SD card size -- 2Gb limit springs to mind but don't quote me on that!
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                              Although I took the trouble to upload manuals and new applications for this ancient Blackberry 8700 from Ebay, and it allows phone calls and text messages, it still fails to display the Globe Browser. Also the connection shows ‘edge’ instead of ‘EDGE ‘ which would indicate full services.

Although Vodaphone answered my email asking why the Browser was missing, they insist I phone them with the Blackberry, but I suspect they might charge me £1 per minute, and as usual there is a wait to get someone to answer.

Has anyone else any idea why the Browser is inactive, perhaps Internet access is no longer supported on such an old model.

Try this:

Options (Spanner Icon) > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table >
                              Click blackberry > click register

Comment

Working...
                              X