Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ups battery replacement

Hello Everyone.

Can some one clear up this query for me.

Whenever I change/replace faulty or dead UPS batteries, I always down the server, power off and disconnect the UPs from the electricity supply on the wall.

Someone recently told me "WHY DID YOU SWITCH OFF THE UPS JUST TO REPLACE THE DEAD BATTERY.... YOU COULD HAVE DONE THAT WHILE IT WAS UP AND RUNNING"

Mmmmm...... not sure if this is safe as the UPS's connecting in United Kingdon have a JUICY 240v of Leccy running through them!!!!!!

Are they correct?

By the way the UPS is a SMART UPS 1000

Regard Mark.

Re: Ups battery replacement

APC UPS's do allow "hot" battery changes -- IIRC the manual specifies rubber gloves and an insulated mat, so I have never dared

If your server has dual PSU's, just put one onto the mains (or preferably an alternative UPS) and down the other
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Thank you for your rely, I though as much.

Rubber gloves made me laugh!!!!!!!

Regards
      Mark Jones

Comment

Actually this model does allow for hot swap of the batteries.

This UPS has an easy to replace, hot-swappable battery module. Replacement is a safe procedure,
        isolated from electrical hazards. You may leave the UPS and connected equipment on for this procedure.
        PDF of manual http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/A...8LFV_R1_EN.pdf

So it really comes down to specific make model, I suppose RTFM.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJones View Post
          Hi
          Rubber gloves made me laugh!!!!!!!
          Well he is a Doctor.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, depending on where you come into contact with them, it may not be a laughing matter

(Did any one mention "Cavity Search" )
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Call me paranoid, but I don't care what the manual says, I am not now or ever hot swapping UPS batteries. That said, I'm so paranoid I won't hot swap hard drives in a server just because HP and Dell tell me I can.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Personal UPS under a desk - hell no

SAN with dual hot swappable batteries - sure. They're heavy as fuck though, so I let the Dell tech do it. Gold 4 hr support FTW

Comment

I hate APC UPSs', I've got a ton of them and we have battery failures most weeks. Some are hot swapable some are not, you've always got to check the model and see what APC say.

As a result we are dumping them and going for a proper UPS for the entire room, thank god.

Comment

You don't state the age of your UPSes, but if you're having frequent battery failures (presumably not always in the same unit) then you need to seriously look at the conditions you're operating them in. Are you adhering to APC's recommendations? I have not once had a problem with an APC UPS having a battery failure within five years of those batteries being installed.
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                    X