No announcement yet.

Advice on RAID Array - HP DL100 G2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on RAID Array - HP DL100 G2

I have an Adaptec 2410SA RAID Storage controller in my HP DL100 G2 1TB storage server running RAID5. We currently have x4 250GB disks with 3 logical drives which are as follows:

Logical Disk 1 (DATA) – 680GB – E: drive
    Logical Disk 2 (DON’T ERASE) – 5GB – No drive assigned in Windows
    Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY) – 12GB – C: drive

I need to increase the size on the Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY) as this hosts the C: drive on the server and is currently running out of space. I have tried to decrease the partition size on the Logical Disk 1 (DATA) in the hope I could move the space onto Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY). To do this I used my Acronis partitioning disk to shrink the E: drive thinking it would give the space back to the RAID array but it hasn’t. I tried to reconfigure the array and decrease the drive size but I see this message:

“Logical Device 3 must be at least as large as its original value. Please increase its size before continuing”

As my server only has space for x4 disks and all bays are currently occupied my plan is this:

Replace disk 1 with a 500GB disk, re-scan the array & wait for the new disk to synchronise. Then replace disk 2 with a 500GB disk, re-scan the array & wait for the new disk to synchronise. Continue to do this until all disks have been replaced with bigger 500GB drives.

Im hoping this will then give me some more space to assign to the Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY).

Does anyone know if this will work before I go & buy x4 new disks?

Re: Advice on RAID Array - HP DL100 G2

I beleive that process does work, however I've never done it
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Advice on RAID Array - HP DL100 G2

In situations with small C partition space we normally do the following:

1) Symantec System Recovery to create a backup image of all drives on an external device. I've tried using Acronis for this job and others. Each one left us with issues so I personally do not trust it.

2) Restore the images to a different machine using as similar as possible hardware. Once you know you can boot and access all your data then you can safely do whatever you want to the source arrays knowing that at worst you can run off the temp machine. If you can't restore to a temp machine then the risk factor goes up but hopefully you won't need the backup.

3) Remove all the existing drives and put in the new drives. Create a new array and restore the image to the new drives (no need to use bare metal restore as you are going back to almost identical hardware). If it doesn't work, you can take the new drives out and put the old ones back in, reimporting the RAID config.

With regards to changing around your current setup, I would advise against screwing with the partitions on live machines if you can help it. Even if you use the swapping drives method to get bigger drives into the array, you are still going to have to resize the partitions in order to make C: bigger.

The process of making the drives bigger uses some involved procedures. If your logical partitions are like this:

Then reducing the size of 1 and allocating it to 3 requires major work.

Step 1: Reduce Log1

Step 2: Move partition 2

Step 3: Move partition 3

Step 4: Resize 3

If your drives are fine and your partioning program gets all the calculations right then it is achievable but you best make sure you have a damn good backup and a recovery procedure ready just in case.

I think the imaging route is safer as you have several fall backs. The original drives are left in a usable state and you have a full backup image that you can restore to the original state at any point. There is also the option of having a live backup machine in case anything doesn't go as planned.