Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with cooling system

So, when I turned on my computer today I got a system warning that said:

"Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected.

Please turn off the computer immediately, and return it for service."

What do I do to fix this?

Re: Problem with cooling system

return it to the vendor for repair ?

is it a laptop, or desktop ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Oh, I know that one!
      Its the valves, you see. You need to go inside ENIAC, fifth valve rack, 8th valve from the left on the 3rd shelf (make sure its a 12AE10 double pentode), and give it a quarter turn clockwise....

Alternatively tell us the make and model of the computer, and if it is under warranty.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Oh, I know that one!
        Its the valves, you see. You need to go inside ENIAC, fifth valve rack, 8th valve from the left on the 3rd shelf (make sure its a 12AE10 double pentode), and give it a quarter turn clockwise....

Alternatively tell us the make and model of the computer, and if it is under warranty.
        I doubt it. It's a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129. My dad gave it to me about 6 years ago. I don't think it has that much life left in it, so I'm not sure it would be worth paying money to repair. Anyway, I turned my computer on again and I didn't get the message again, if that means anything. Also, my dad bought me this Notebook Cooling Fan that you can put underneath the computer. I've never opened it before, but would that help to keep the computer cool?

Comment

OK, if I were you I would forget the valve for the moment and see if you can get the base off the computer and clean out dust from the processor fan (not on top of the processor, but connected to it with a large copper heat sink normally.

Maybe the fan has failed, if so it should be easily replaceable.

If you for disassembly and the model of computer you will probably find a step by step.

Cooling fans which go under a notebook are useful to stop your knees burning but do damn all to the laptop itself!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor
            Cooling fans which go under a notebook are useful to stop your knees burning but do damn all to the laptop itself!
            Au contraire mon Capitain. I had an old Dell that was burning ones legs but put the notebook cooling fans under it and it changed the temperature of the air coming out of the device so it was no longer HOT!! but only warm.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Au contraire mon Capitain. I had an old Dell that was burning ones legs but put the notebook cooling fans under it and it changed the temperature of the air coming out of the device so it was no longer HOT!! but only warm.
              Thanks. I tried putting my cooling fan under my laptop and it seems to be working a little better. It's still kind of slow though. I'm wondering if it's lack of speed is related to something else entirely. A few months ago my computer was running slowly and I added some RAM and it sped up quite a bit. Do you think buying some more RAM would make my computer go faster?

Comment

What are the laptop's specs

A common problem is the processor runs at power saving speed -- c. 30% of full -- so fiddling with power options and BIOS settings may do something
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

These things were first out in 2003 so I would bet the RAM is 256MB and a snail like 2.4GHz Celeron so it is a slow machine by todays standards. 7+ years old.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    What are the laptop's specs

A common problem is the processor runs at power saving speed -- c. 30% of full -- so fiddling with power options and BIOS settings may do something
                    How do I do this? I tried putting more Ram in it and while it seems to be going a little faster, it's still pretty damn slow.

Comment

Backup all your data, IE/Firefox Favorites/Bookmarks, Email, N2K file etc etc then WIPE the HDD and reinstall the O/S and all the apps. From memory you will have or should have the Toshiba Recovery CDs. Boot fro the CD and follow the bouncing ball.

If the laptop has the original software install then it is most likely running like a dog. Other than that. more details needed about what is running on it and how you run it (power or battery, hibernate or Standby, things like that) and what the exact specs are. Not going to guess any more.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Backup all your data, IE/Firefox Favorites/Bookmarks, Email, N2K file etc etc then WIPE the HDD and reinstall the O/S and all the apps. From memory you will have or should have the Toshiba Recovery CDs. Boot fro the CD and follow the bouncing ball.

If the laptop has the original software install then it is most likely running like a dog. Other than that. more details needed about what is running on it and how you run it (power or battery, hibernate or Standby, things like that) and what the exact specs are. Not going to guess any more.
                        How do I find out the specs?

Comment

Computer Properties will give you RAM and Processor, and Explorer will give you drive size
                          Power Properties may tell you about the battery
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

All right, I think I figured out what the problem was. My dad suggested I run WinPatrol and I disabled two things that were running. I believe it was something by Scansoft and another thing by Macromedia. Anyway, I disabled these two things and now my computer seems to be running faster.

Comment

Working...
                            X