Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi VLAN/BSSID router/modem Reccomendation

Hi

Im looking to implement a wireless network at a campsite. They have 3 cottages and would like multiple SSID's one per cottage. I know the draytek 2820 can do this but Im looking for a slighty cheaper alternative.

The second part of the task is to add a repeater for either all 3 channels or just one channel as the third cottage is just that bit too far from the location of an AP which I tested. The tested was only a single SSID crappy home router.

Thanks

Re: Multi VLAN/BSSID router/modem Reccomendation

More detail required. What are you intending to be accessed by wireless users - just the Internet?

Why can't the three cottages each have their own AP? Is there a single Internet connection shared between all three cottages? If so, why are three separate SSIDs required when all three will be used to access the same resource?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes its purely a single internet connection shared between all three cottages. The idea is to segregate the cottages from each other so they dont try and access each others PC's. If I can do this via VLAN's as per the Draytek 2820 this should stop traffic between the 3 SSID's?

Maybe Im going about it wrongly just trying to suss out the best solution.

Comment

Ok. For future reference, it helps us make appropriate suggestions if you put all of the necessary details in your question.

Yes, you can create 3 separate VLANs, either using a single router that supports this and that supports 3 separate SSIDs, or using three access points and a suitable managed switch.

Once you decide how to implement the wireless setup at the "base", then you'll be able to decide how to tackle the range issue. Replacing the antenna(s) in question with longer range models perhaps and placing a second AP in that cottage setup as a repeater should do the trick.

Some access points support client separation (sometimes known as "hotspot mode") that prevents wireless clients from seeing each other.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Cool - apologies for not putting everything in. I guess when your thinking about it in your head you forget that people arent mind readers.

So you would suggest implementing a base and then 3 AP's which are paired to that base? Any manufacture/model reccomendations?

Ta

Comment

3 repeaters would give you arguably a better signal in the cottages, but if you only need 1 then you can save yourself some cash.

Who stays in these cottages - campsite guests or are they used longterm by campsite staff?

The target userbase will likely have an impact on the budget and therefore the choice of equipment. Personally I'd start by looking at Cisco, but then I don't know how much you're able to spend.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

it would be peeps on holiday and as for Cisco I think thats a little pricey.... I like the idea of the Vigor 2820 but only because Ive had experience of these. And it may be a little over kill.

But then, its price vs reliability and anything from Netgear etc would be pointless

Comment

Working...
              X