How to Temporarily disconnect USB Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Temporarily disconnect USB Drive

Well, I am remote from a server and I need to temporarily disconnect the USB drive that is connected for backup. I know I can eject it using the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, but then I need someone to physically disconnect and reconnect the disk at the site.
    Anyone know of a method or utility that can make it unavailable for a short period?
    System commands/vbscript preferred; PowerShell at a pinch.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: How to Temporarily disconnect USB Drive

Originally posted by teiger View Post
    I need to temporarily disconnect the USB drive that is connected for backup.
    What are you intending to do while the drive is disconnected - while you be logging out / rebooting or will the system be staying up?

Regarding the statement I've quoted... is that disconnection of the USB drive for the purposes of a backup, or disconnection of the USB drive that is used for backing up?

I love good old obscure English I move that we start posting all questions in Boolean Algebra or Z. Who's with me?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: How to Temporarily disconnect USB Drive

This WORKS in Windows 7 as I have just tested it.
      Disk Management and set USB HDD to OFFLINE
      Reboot (had a PXE screen appear but after a few seconds booted normally. Guess the USB HDD was being detected by the BIOS )
      When logged on:
      Disk Management and set USB HDD to ONLINE
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X