Home NAS Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home NAS Suggestions

Initially looking between the new Synology DS411+ and DS1511+, but a friend recommended QNAP, so I pulled up some random models around the same price (TS-509 PRO, TS-459, and TS-559 Pro+) - NewEgg Comparison Link

Also glanced at the Synology DS411j and DS410, but I'm not sure if one's an older model, or what the j stands for.

Looking for a home NAS for a couple TB of space (preferably with lots of redundancy).

Features I'd like:
    to be able to add HDDs at will
    Being able to host a web site (I think both Synology and QNAP do this)
    DLNA support
    Awesome that both can provide storage for virtualization servers. That's really tempting, but I may or may not run VMs at home. It'd be nice, but I could always do that on local storage. In fact that may be preferred if I get some SSDs.

Not deal breakers:
    bit torrent / NZB client built in (Synology only I believe)

So, does anyone have a preference between the two or any experiences / reviews they'd like to share, or other make / models they'd recommend?
    Last edited by Wired; 8th January 2011, 08:22.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Home NAS Suggestions

I've got a Netgear ReadyNAS DUO. It's smaller (2 HDs) but has pretty much all of the features you want except the website hosting. There are bigger models though, more similar to what you have already compared, and the interface is really easy to use. It'll do DLNA, iTunes streaming and SqueezeCentre streaming.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I like ReadyNAS products as well, but when they got bought out by Netgear the prices skyrocketed. Not cool.

I'm definitely looking for 4+ HDD capacity. Partially for RAID 5 and more redundancy, also for more storage.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wouldn't know, mine was a competition prize.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Don't think I want to know the answer, but what type of competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            It was who had the deepest pockets and shortest arms.

About 4 years ago I found a NAS unit that had a single HDD and a Gigabit NIC. Unusual at the time as all others only had 100MB NICs and surprisingly even now many of the cheaper units still only have the 100MB NIC. Linksys have one that is more expensive than my one but it holds 2 HDDs so you can RAID 1 it however all the reviews I read stated that the lower HDD had a tendancy to overheat and resulted in drive failures or data corruption (can't remember which was more common now).

A couple of years ago this manufacturer put out a RAID 1 device which was almost a twin of the ones I have. Was annoyed I couldn't justify it for my home network.

Now I see thay have just what you are after. http://www.a-tecsubsystem.com/index.php/ennas/gs-3410 If this device is as good as my 2 early units then this will be one very good machine. It has a manual you can download for further info. It is under the Download title link.

Ooops, forgot about the Free NAS option. Train Signal have a free tutorial on how to set one up. http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/b...freenas-part-1
            Last edited by biggles77; 9th January 2011, 13:50. Reason: Added info
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
              Competition is a grand word for it to be honest. About a year ago I was at a Symantec/Microsoft/Netgear product launch in Glasgow and every body there filled out a survey regarding the content of the presentations. First out the hat won a ReadyNAS DUO, a Sony VAIO laptop and a copy of BESR 2010.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Biggles: interesting specs, but couldn't find it anywhere online to purchase to check out the price.

cruchan: that's called a raffle

Comment

Send them an email and see who distributes them in the US. From experience they DO reply.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you looking for a prebuilt solution or are you keen to try building your own? A small form factor box with a few drive slots would allow the physical side of things, and running freenas or similar as an operating system should open up all the potential you are looking to put in.

Comment

Considering I linked to 5 prebuilts? Yes, prebuilt

Unless I found a great deal on an SSF with AWESOME software, I wouldn't go that route. FreeNAS hasn't impressed me both in features or UI when compared to the retail options out there.
                      Last edited by Wired; 12th January 2011, 04:23.

Comment

Still searching. Looking at the ReadyNAS Ultra 4/6 Plus, and maybe the business versions of them (because of the longer warranty).

Too many choices, and no great place to look at reviews for all of them (yet), ARG.

Comment

Finally found a price for the A-Tec GS3410. Unit price is US$460 (plus HDDs of course).

If you want to source one in the US then contact the person who has an email address at the bottom of this linked page. http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...1038272675.htm

I have never found it so hard to find the price of a device before and the bloody thing has been available for about 18 months. Don't know if that is a good or a bad sign.

Try searching US online site for A-tec 4-bay Gigabit NAS GS3410. That gave me the best results here in OZ.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That's a bad sign in my book.

Comment

Settled on a Synology DS411+ or DS1511+. Now just gotta find some good and not too loud 2 TB drives.

Comment

Working...
                              X