Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Flash Drive

OK,
    I have an interesting problem with a USB flash drive which I just bought off eBay (and it's entirely possible that that's the problem).

16GB fairly cheap US flash drive ... seemed to work AOK first time but in my infinite wisdom (HRH) I decided to format it as NTFS. That failed (and has subsequently failed at command prompt level). I formatted it at default FAT32 (command prompt after I had an issue with formatting it, outside of computer management, under my work laptop's Vista OS) and that seemed to work OK.

I copied files (a directory structure) to it and that's when it started acting weird ... some of the files and directories didn't get there but were somehow still there because the space was used (fairly obvious because I was copying large video files and the amount of space used equated to the amount copied only many files were missing.

The final issue was that these files which worked on my laptop (and still do) ... appeared to copy OK but when copied off would not play.

I figure this has got to have something to do with how I've formatted the drive (either that or as implied above, it's just cheap eBay cr**) so if anyone has any ideas as to how I should format the drive (for use under Windows) please can you let me know?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: USB Flash Drive

I suspect you've been hit with fake eB*y c**p
    Have you had problems with other drives formatted (FAT or NTFS) on the same computer?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: USB Flash Drive

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
      Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I suspect you've been hit with fake eB*y c**p
      Have you had problems with other drives formatted (FAT or NTFS) on the same computer
      Not that I recall (and I do that kind of thing quite a lot) ... guy on another forum gave me a link to BurnInTest but $34 seems a lot to properly test a 13 (I guess about $18 ) drive.

Thx

EDIT: Well ... I ran the software in evaluation mode and got:

Data Verify failure
      This is a serious error that indicates that the data read from the disk is NOT the same as the data that was written to the disk. This could indicate a hardware error
      I think I will write to the seller.

Keke
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 10th December 2010, 10:16.
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X