No announcement yet.

Good Backup Solution

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Backup Solution

We are now looking to upgrade our current backup, we currently have 2 LTO2 drives backing up about 800GB of compressed data, we use Backup exec 11d for our needs,

We recently setup VMware Virtual networking infrastructure with Dell Eql SAN which has about 5TB storage capacity, now our existing backup is not compatible with newer VM which is running 2008 R2 OS, and also it is reaching its limit,

What we need for the backup is something which is reliable then our existing tape based backup which was good but not reliable as it has tendency to break down often, we are looking for about 3 TB of backup, with weekly need to do full off-site backup, as for the software we need a software which should be able to backup 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 and SQL2008 database, also please keep in mind the VMware environment.

I know this is a broad question but, I will appreciate if you share with me what you guys are using and how reliable it is? is there any good hardware product out there in the market which good and well supported,

I was using one freedom 9 NAS box not for the backup but storing old data, and it was not good box as it failed to recover RAID after a power failure.

Re: Good Backup Solution

IMHO stick with Backup Exec, but get current (you are 2 versions behind) so it will support all your software with the correct agents.

Personally I would go with daily backups to a SAN plus weekly to removable drives of some sort -- gain in speed and capacity over tapes.

Speak to a couple of vendors and ask their advice on the project, but have a budget before you start!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Good Backup Solution

I personnaly like a dedicated Server with lastest OS and Backup software like BackupExec with appropriated agents linked to a NAS for its disk space located outsite the main building or far away from the main servers room.
      With dedicated media pool for daily, weekly and monthly backup you may then push the desired data to any removal media for outsite backup.
      BackupExec have now a cloud solution for outside backup mirroring (I think, didn't try yet) allowing your entreprise to have backup outside.

Which it help