How do I choose a UPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I choose a UPS?

We are consolidating some servers at work and need a new UPS. I've never had to purchase one before so I am unsure what to look for and indeed how to configure it i.e. do both power supplies in the server need to go through it.

The servers and devices I'm thinking of putting through it are

2 servers each with 2 PSUs
    3 servers with 1 PSU each
    2 switches
    ADSL router.

Can anyone help me on this.

Re: How do I choose a UPS?

APC do a very nice power calculator

(Basically it comes down to how many watts your products draw (dual PSU servers can use only one if you want) and how long you want it to run for)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      APC do a very nice power calculator

(Basically it comes down to how many watts your products draw (dual PSU servers can use only one if you want) and how long you want it to run for)
      Thanks for that I was wondering how I was going to find the power usage for each server but that calculator lists all of my servers.

It's a bit pricey though, the cheapest it recommended was a APC Smart-UPS 2200VA LCD 230V which only gives 16 minutes of usage. I'm guessing I can look at other vendors now as long as I get at least a 2200VA model.

Comment

Also check that the UPS will fit in with your present power abilities. If you have 10A cables then you may need to run 15A ones to support the larger UPS.

I put a 1,500VA UPS in my house and had to run 15A cables to run it. It would have made the standard 10A copper glow in the dark.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Also check that the UPS will fit in with your present power abilities. If you have 10A cables then you may need to run 15A ones to support the larger UPS.

I put a 1,500VA UPS in my house and had to run 15A cables to run it. It would have made the standard 10A copper glow in the dark.
          Now this is where I get a bit lost. I have no clue when it come to electrics. All I know is it is going to run from a standard power socket in our office.

Comment

Get a good sparky to help you with that side of it.

Re prices: APC are not cheap but they are probably the best brand of UPS -- how much is your data (and your equipment) worth to you?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have to agree on the APC recommendation - their kit is virtually industry standard and for a good reason.

My general rule of thumb with dual PSU servers is to run one input directly from the mains and one from the UPS. Depends on your needs but really you only need enough run time on the UPS for the server(s) to shutdown gracefully. Make sure that you spec a UPS with enough outputs or with a network card to support the number of servers you have that need to be shutdown.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Well, if U run your servers with 2 psu's I would go for 2x ups, one for each psu. When comparing UPS, do not forget the power efficiency of the unit.
                gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  Have to agree on the APC recommendation - their kit is virtually industry standard and for a good reason.

My general rule of thumb with dual PSU servers is to run one input directly from the mains and one from the UPS. Depends on your needs but really you only need enough run time on the UPS for the server(s) to shutdown gracefully. Make sure that you spec a UPS with enough outputs or with a network card to support the number of servers you have that need to be shutdown.
                  What are the advantages of configuring it this way. Why not run all the power connections from the PSUs directly into the UPS. Is it just so more devices can be connected up.

Comment

NO, so less power will be drawn from the UPS
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

UPS is not only for power failure. If lightning strikes, or another power spike, and a dual psu server is directly connected to the mains, your server might blow away. It is just a risk you want or don't want.
                      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

When I say directly to the mains, I assume that the power is filtered and surge protected as it should be for any IT equipment, not just servers.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                          When I say directly to the mains, I assume that the power is filtered and surge protected as it should be for any IT equipment, not just servers.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	bugger.GIF
Views:	9
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	464663 I was going to say that.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X