Dell 1600 SC hard drive space help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 1600 SC hard drive space help

I have recently been assigned the responsibilities of managing our 2003 small business server and I know very little so bare with me.

I am trying to add some hard drive space. I got the two new hard drives installed and reconstructed the array. Now my problem is how do I add the the extra hard drive space to a actual hard disk drive that can be used? can I add it to an existing hard disk drive or do I need to create a new one? How do I do either?

Dell open Array Manager is currently installed. and it is a Raid 5, Perc4 S/C

Any help/guidance/good articles/anything is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Meats

Re: Dell 1600 SC hard drive space help

you would need to extend the array. you might need to use computer management and then disk management
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I believe the array has been extended. The two new hard drives are listed in the array under the virtual disk.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

the PERC array manager shows the array has been extended, correct?

next step, log onto the computer, go to computer management and disk management

rescan the disks and you should see some more space available now

you can then try selecting the volume and extending it
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm moving this to the hardware forum as its not really anything to do with SBS
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, didnt really know where to post...

I feel like I'm getting closer lol.

I went into Disk Management. From what I read from the help pages I'm supposed to be able to right click on the unallocated space and select "New Partition" However, "New Partition" is grayed out and wont let me click on it.

Also is it possible to extend one of my current partitions instead of making a new one? If so by doing that is there any chance of losing data?

Thanks so much for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMeats
              Sorry, didnt really know where to post...
              No problem because sometimes it can get a bit confusing where to post it.

Sorry but I can't help with your partition expansion as I am not familiar with the RAID controller. If the controller doesn't have the ability, then maybe Partition Magic will do it. Again I am unsure since I can't remember using Partition Magic on a Server.
              Last edited by biggles77; 18th November 2010, 14:56.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

One of my partitions is an extended partition if that helps.

Comment

is your volume a dynamic or basic volume?

you should at the very least be able to make another partition.

how many other partitions do you have on the disk, what size and what sort are they? (logical, extended, primary)

Comment

I believe it is a basic volume.

I currently have 4 partitions (which is why I think it is not letting me add another. However one of them is a Extended partition which I believe I can add the unallocated space to?

Comment

correct - if you have 4 primary partitions already, you can't create more.
                      You can, however, create another logical partition within the extended partition.

Comment

So how do I create another logical partition within the extended partition

Comment

Can't you just use diskpart to extend the current partition???

Comment

im betting the partition he wants to extend is at the front of the disk....

Comment

Could be lol.

Without any more info on the disk setup we're clutching at straws.

OP,

Please post more info on what you actually have installed the configuration of the RAID set and the setup of your drives.

Without this info we are pretty much stuffed.

Comment

Working...
                              X