Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Way UK Electrical Wall Sockets

OK,

So, in my cellar (my office where I have all my computers, my AV and stuff) I have a lot of kit but only three double sockets. I'll give a couple of examples: ignoring my projector, my AV system has 7 bits of kit plugged in (Sky box, Blu-ray, Video Switch, Speaker system, Computer, TV and screen). It used to have an Xbox as well which I used for Netflix and Prime but I found out my TV has that functionality anyway; my computer system has the main unit, two screens and quite a few mains powered devices attached. As a result, I have a lot of extension leads, extension leads off extension leads, which I recognise is unsafe... my only real defence (a very weak defence) is it has worked AOK for many years. Most of the kit off most of the time although these days, such kit seems to be in some kind of low power mode (still drawing a very small amount of power) rather than actually "off".

So, I've been trying to rationalise it all and so far, have managed to get rid of two extension blocks ... I think I can probably get rid of maybe two more which will mean I no longer have any extensions off extensions. I am also considering adding additional sockets ... I'm no electrician but I do know how to put in junction boxes and that kind of stuff.

I live in the UK and I am trying to find out if I can get wall mounted four-way sockets. I don't mean an extension lead or a converter (my searches have been frustrated by these things), I mean one that can literally replace a two-way socket with a four-way and be directly mounted on a wall/skirting. If I could get some of those I might be able to get rid of my extensions completely.

If any of you know of something like this can you post a link here?

Thx

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

I haven't seen anything larger than doubles (and a quick suggests the same, but couldn't you wire in additional doubles, either as spurs off the current ones or by wiring them into the ring main. You might need a sparky for the latter, but I have wired spurs (limited to one per existing socket box) easily enough (shutting down power first, obviously)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I haven't seen anything larger than doubles (and a quick suggests the same, but couldn't you wire in additional doubles, either as spurs off the current ones or by wiring them into the ring main. You might need a sparky for the latter, but I have wired spurs (limited to one per existing socket box) easily enough (shutting down power first, obviously)
      Yeah I might have to do that ... thanks

Keke

Comment

OPTION.

Get a 4 or 6 way powerboard / powerstrip or whatever you call them where you is, plug it into a single outlet and then mount the powerboard onto the wall. If you can get one that had power switches for each outlet it would for all intense and purposes as a wall outlet. You just wouldn't want to run an electric jug/kettle or a small heater from it. Laser printer would also be a no-no.

I'm not surprised you don't have a 4 way. The size of your plugs are ..... now if I could just spell ludychris ....... It would make it a rather large unit. When we built out house, I made a bedroom into an office and put 22 or rather, 11 double outlets into the room. The second item that I plugged in was a 6 way powerboard. Was not happy but the damn thing is still plugged in. I subsequently change 6 of the doubles to 4 ways and added another 4 or 5 to the rest of the house. In case you are wondering why I didn't put the 4 ways in during construction, the 2 way sockets were $3 each and the 4 ways were $43 each. By adding them later Mr Taxman was willing (HA!) to subsidise them for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-way-power-yeah!.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	515977
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Get a 4 or 6 way powerboard / powerstrip or whatever you call them where you is...
          An extension lead or block.

,,.plug it into a single outlet and then mount the powerboard onto the wall. If you can get one that had power switches for each outlet it would for all intense and purposes as a wall outlet.
          OK...

You just wouldn't want to run an electric jug/kettle or a small heater from it. Laser printer would also be a no-no.
          ... before I started this rationalisation exercise (I had far too many extensions off extension s etc.) I had a very long homemade extension lead running from an extension lead in my cellar downstairs, up to the next floor and another extension lead which powered a router, a shredder and, in fact, a colour laser printer. It used to have two printers on it a B&W and a colour inkjet and there were other devices further back along the extension chain.

Do laser printers use that much power? From what I can tell my new printer uses 570W when most active (printing) which, on a 220W UK power supply, equates to less than 5Amps so much less than the 13A rating of the socket though certainly not the amount of stuff I had on it then. Now it's just the one extension lead with the laser, a router and a shredder

I'm not surprised you don't have a 4 way. The size of your plugs are...When we built out house, I made a bedroom into an office and put 22 or rather, 11 double outlets into the room. The second item that I plugged in was a 6 way powerboard. Was not happy but the damn thing is still plugged in. I subsequently change 6 of the doubles to 4 ways and added another 4 or 5 to the rest of the house. In case you are wondering why I didn't put the 4 ways in during construction, the 2 way sockets were $3 each and the 4 ways were $43 each. By adding them later Mr Taxman was willing (HA!) to subsidise them for me.
          I think the reason the UK doesn't have 4 way wall-mounted sockets is safety but we do have extension blocks ... I have 3 x 10 socket blocks and an 8 in my cellar office alone. I've minimised them elsewhere where possible. My current plan is to upgrade some of the sockets but I can't make all the sockets in use wall mountable, just make sure all my extension leads are good ones (expensive unfortunately) and surge protected.

Thx for the info though ... I'm impressed you built your own house

Keke

Comment

Working...
          X