Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 5.1 from a non-pdif speaker system

Hi,
    The motherboard of my system (GA-P43-ES3G Rev. 1.0) has a rear panel SPDIF out (coaxial)
    but my speaker system (PILS600CW 5.1 Channell Subwoofer Speaker System for Home Theatre) has only RCA and STEREO entrances.
    Can I still produce 5.1 (or Dolby) on my system?

Re: Getting 5.1 from a non-pdif speaker system

how many RCA inputs does the stereo have, and what colour are they?
    how many 3.5mm outputs does the soundcard have?

normally i've found that cards that do 5.1 output, have either the SPDIF, or 5 separate 3.5mm plugs, labelled according to fl/fr/rl/rr/c
    you'd need to plug this into the corresponding RCA ports on the stereo

although, iirc, RCA is a bigger adaptor than 3.5mm.

Can you take photos of the stero input and soundcard output ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I've attached 2 photos, one displaying the rear connection of my computer (rearpanel.jpg) and the other - back connections of the speaker system (SpeakersSystemBack.pdf).

Gigabyte information sheet reports the availability of the following rear panel connections:
      1 x LPT
      1 x PS/2 keyboard port
      1 x PS/2 mouse port
      1 x RJ45 LAN
      1 x serial port
      1 x SPDIF out (coaxial)
      3 x Audio jacks (Line-in/Line-out/MIC)
      6 x USB 2.0/1.1

I'm not familiar with the SPDIF option, but, at least following the specification sheet, it does exist.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok - you might need a breakout box
        If what I'm reading is right, you need a decoder to decode the 5.1 from the SPDIF and send it out the 5 channels, which then gets pumped back into the stereo through the 5 relevant channels
        Last edited by tehcamel; 28th October 2010, 18:55.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Page 76 of your MB user manual:
          "Connect a S/PDIF coaxial cable to an external decoder for transmitting the S/PDIF digital audio signals."
          Page 19:
          "Coaxial S/PDIF Out Connector:
          This connector provides digital audio out to an external audio system that supports digital coaxial audio. Before using this feature, ensure that your audio system provides a coaxial digital audio in connector."
          http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList...p43-es3g_e.pdf
          I believe you got your answer. Not a good one, though...
          Regards,
          Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Originally posted by venom83 View Post
            I believe you got your answer. Not a good one, though...
            Thanks. That's one answer, but, I agree, not the one I'm looking for.

I would rather opt for a software solution. I tried AC3Filter. Since it's my first encounter with the program, I'm not familiar with its details. Still, after making some basic configuration, I got a response at which all five channel seem operative (the subwoofer's activity isn't all the time, and the current capture failed to catch it).
            Still, the five channels s e e m to work, but only three speakers actually produce sound.
            What's wrong? What block the produced sound to reach my speakers?

Another point should be mentioned, all this happens w i t h o u t using SPDIF. AC3Filter reports it's disabled.

Do you see anything useful in this report?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by venom83 View Post
              . Before using this feature, ensure that your audio system provides a coaxial digital audio in connector."
              Glad you mentioned this restriction. My speaker system has only analog connections and therefore the digital option is irrelevant.

Still, what do you say about my AC3Filter screen capture? Doesn't it show that the problem doesn't reside in my computer. Isn't it located somewhere in the process following the production of the audio signals? Can't AC3Filter help overcoming this obstacle?
              Last edited by biggles77; 30th October 2010, 02:40. Reason: Fix QUOTE

Comment

Working...
              X