Laptop reset button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop reset button

A couple of ladies ina Seniors forum are complaining their laptops do not have a Reset button often found on desktop towers.

Is there another way something acts as a reset button. I seem to remember on an old laptop I once had you moved the on off switch a certain way.

Re: Laptop reset button

Most newer laptops, (and PC towers), have what I call a soft power switch, press it momentarily, and it performs as configured in the OS, hold it for 3 -5 seconds and it powers the machine off, then a momentary press powers it back up.

Comment

Hold the power switch for 5-10 seconds and everything switches OFF -- not quite the same as a reset.

Note I take no responsibility for the OS getting screwed if they do this.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good point Ossain, but correct me if I'm wrong but don't the old style reset buttons just kill power immediately, and then restore it?

Comment

Yes -- difference is you have to switch the laptop back on
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
            A couple of ladies ina Seniors forum are complaining their laptops do not have a Reset button often found on desktop towers.

Is there another way something acts as a reset button. I seem to remember on an old laptop I once had you moved the on off switch a certain way.

tell them the reset button is on the bottem lable "Battery". Just push the 2 buttons, then push the back in :P

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by georgeeye View Post
              Most newer laptops, (and PC towers), have what I call a soft power switch, press it momentarily, and it performs as configured in the OS, hold it for 3 -5 seconds and it powers the machine off, then a momentary press powers it back up.
              I've got a brand new Dell laptop and it doesn't have a reset swtich.

If i'm honest i've never seeen one but thats not to say that they don't exist

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                I've got a brand new Dell laptop and it doesn't have a reset swtich.

If i'm honest i've never seeen one but thats not to say that they don't exist
                Dells noramlly do not have a reset button, as if you tap the power button 2 times it should restart.

There is also a bios setting to change it... unless they changed it from 2 years ago.

I miss working on Dell computers

Wofen
                Good to be back....

Comment

Why does my mind keep turning here?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Lmfao Ossian.

Also: It's easy to set push to reboot.
                    You could also just get them to do it from the start menu.
                    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
                    X