Server Hard Drive Failure, Even After Replacing New Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Hard Drive Failure, Even After Replacing New Hard Drive

I have a T300 Power Edge server with 3 HDD's, that was running vmware for a test enviroment. And i have an error that says, 1810 HDD 0 fault error. Did research, and all pointed to bad HDD.

So 2 light up green 1 amber. i took the amber out and swaped places with a green one, to eliminate the socket. So the amber one failed in its new location and the green remained the same in it's new location. So i bought a new HDD, same model, when i put it in, it turned amber too, both times amber blinking.

Now, when i first had the error, i went into the config, to clear, and redo the RAID, thought i might get lucky in fixing it, it showed that i had 3 hard drives, even with the amber light. Wth the new hard drive it only shows 2 HDD's. HDD's are 250G

So i configured the raid, with only the 2 good HDD's, initiallized at the end of day friday, taking to long so i left for the weekend. So i'm hoping monday when i come in, if i plug the new one in again, it will image, worth a try i guess.

in troubleshooting, i cleaned out, dusted and reseated the processor, ram, perc, cables and HDD's

3 questions,

1) Any ideas on what may be the problem with the original HDD failing
    2) Any ideas on the new and same make HDD not show up
    3) Can i run the server with only 2 HDD's

Thanks

You never, EVER, swap hard drives between slots with a working array defined on them. That wipes the integrity. A RAID 5 will run with a minimum of only 2 drives, assuming it was configured with a minimum of 3 to start with. But as you didn't tell us what type of RAID array you had the failure in, I'm assuming it was a RAID 5 since there were 3 members. The right thing to do was to swap out the single drive with the amber light with another drive of at least the same size, and wait for the original array to rebuild.

Since you've already started to re-do the array setup, any previous data is gone (as you may already realise.) In answer to your questions:
    1) Bad sectors, premature bearing failure, the list goes on. My experience with Dell is that, when the controller flashes amber on 1 drive, replace it and move on. Only if the new one also shows up dead in the same original slot should the slot/controller/cabling be suspect (after all, the disc is the bit with the moving parts so that's where you expect the wear.) I've used only Dell for 12 years, using SCSI, iSCSI, SAS, SATA technologies, and that holds true.
    2) Config on the controller become confused/corrupted with disc swaps on what was a running, although degraded, array. Bear in mind that, since you had 1 HDD failure on what we assume was an original hardware deployment, the other discs are as old as the one that failed, so may have been nearly as degraded as the dead one. Moving either of those others may be contributing to the strange behavior you're seeing.
    3) Yes, if you don't want a RAID 5.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the tip, about swapping hard drives. Didn't remember what RAID it was. how can I get the server to recognize the 3rd hard drive, or is the new hard drive a dud too?

Comment

You'll want to clear any previous config settings from the controller's RAM, and from the disks themselves, and start over. Once you've cleared the settings, restart the server before you start over with re-defining any array.
        *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

In the beginning I deleted the VM, and cleared the config. Turn off back on, go to config, go to create new VD, only 2 drives show.I don't see where it offers to clear the disk's. Assuming the clear config does that, Is that right? No matter what slot I put the first original hard drive in, or the new, it blinks amber. The others work in any slot.

When I first start up the server, the drive in question, stays green then eventually go to blinking amber.

I hope this isn't a dumb question, do I need to format the drive before putting in? On all my research, everything says put in drive a the array will build itself. Or is that assuming that the drive is formatted?

Also, I just saw that the new drive doesn't have a jumper, but out of the 2 drives that are recognized, only 1 has a jumper.
          Last edited by Kobe 310; 13th March 2017, 15:50.

Comment

ok, since I noticed the jumpers, I took out the 2 good hard drives and put in only the one not working, it recognized the volume, then I did the same with the other, just the one, and it recognized that one as well. one had jumper the other didn't.

So the server sees the drive, but not with the other 2 installed.

Comment

it's been 10 minutes, the drive in the server would have been blinking amber by now, lit solid green with the other 2 drives not inserted., any ideas. if it is the pins, which would be weird, (because this server was working before)

All 3 drives showed up with this 1st configuration

1st Configuration
              Drives
              1st jumper on last 2 pins( to the right)(old hard drive)
              2nd jumper on last 2 pins( to the right)
              3rd no jumper

2nd Configuration
              Drives
              1st no jumper(New hard drive)
              2nd jumper on last 2 pins ( to the right)
              3rd no jumper

Last edited by Kobe 310; 13th March 2017, 17:11.

Comment

so the pins don't matter it appears, next thing I did from research was to go into the BIOS, and turn off the sata controller from ata, when I did that, all 3 drives lit up, couldn't get into the configuration without restarting, when I did, back to same thing, only the lit up. When I went back to the BIOS, put the SATA controller back to where it was, ata, all 3 lit up, restarted and back to just the 2.

I do see a SATA port a device not found on start up

In the Bios SATA Controller port A is in AUTO mode, Model and Drive Type is unknown, and Capacity is n/a
                Last edited by Kobe 310; 13th March 2017, 19:49.

Comment

Yes, the controller config I was talking about was the RAID controller card, the menu for which is usually accessed while rebooting the physical server, and while in the BIOS of that reboot. When you stated in your original post about having cleared the config, I mistakenly assumed you knew that.

I've searched for your spec of hardware, and from the Dell PDF file I've seen (plus your own notes), I'm guessing your server setup included 3 SATA HDDs of 7200 RPM and 250GB size. SATA disc may or may not have factory-installed jumpers, that I've never heard of anyone altering. Go to the manufacturer's web pages for each model of drive and see what the jumpers do, putting them back into their default positions as appropriate. Your server has 4 disc slots in it, so put the discs back in, but don't use slot 0. You've got 3 discs, so put them in slots 1, 2 & 3. If you're worried about slot 0, this will confirm whether that slot is dead or not. Then start over with the RAID controller setup. Since you have the Dell asset, use their support site to find the manual for your server, and follow those instructions. I've used Dell PERC controllers from v4 to current, and they all behave pretty much the same. There is a screen for clearing a current config out of the controller's RAM, and another for importing or clearing the config from a set of discs. If it finds anything, delete it. Then redefine a new array using all 3 discs. If it still can't see 1 or more discs, you've got other issues. But whether that was the original fault or something that's been induced by the level of internal disassembly you've gone to, is anyone's guess.
                  *RicklesP*

Comment

Earlier I had mentioned if I put the drive in by itself, (the one in question) the config sees it, just not with the other 2, so just now after configuring RAID 1 for the 2, I selected "Create New VD, and the one in question is there", For a lack of better words, What's going on here? LOL

When u mentioned clearing ram and drives, I took that as 2 separate config menu's. It does offer "Clearing Current Config", and "Importing and clearing set of disks" in the RAID setup. Not sure what part of that is clearing the RAM. It does say "No Configuration Present" after I clear the configs. There's really no options I have to change but clearing the config, and deleting the group.

As far as the jumpers, I don't think there's anymore googling to be done on this subject lol, so i'm looking for anything "Different", at this point, no other option. Thanks for your help, Getting frustrated, been 10 days, no end in sight.

I really appreciate your input on this and research, thanks!! I'll keep trying to figure something out. I wouldn't be surprised if I had other issues. Maybe something to do with SATA port A device not found.
                    Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th March 2017, 16:20.

Comment

After creating new VD, initialized the disk, I cleared the config, and now all 3 show up.....Thank God!!! RicklesP, Thanks for staying with me on this, much appreciated!!!

Now for the finaly... I didn't post this, but I knew the new hard drive that was sent to me was making noise, so I ordered another one. so I knew I was going to have to replace the one in question. It just came in... so I put it in, there was no configuration, so I went to configure new VD, and all 3 showed up?%#[email protected]

Go figure
                      Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th March 2017, 17:57.

Comment

So it sounds like you have 3 drives answering correctly on the RAID controller screen, so you can create/initialise whatever array spec you need. Glad to hear it all worked as it should. Glad to be of help.
                        *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
                        X