Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Change Weak SAS Hard Drive in RAID-5 Dell R710 Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Change Weak SAS Hard Drive in RAID-5 Dell R710 Server?

Hello Dear, I have Dell R710 Server. My one SAS Drive makes a lot issue, sometime my server shows an error that hard drive faulty with an orange light then I power off and then again back on then everything back to normal. I want to know, whats the procedure to change the drive in RAID-5 on my Dell R710 server? Should I just remove the old HDD then put the new one or do I need to something more? Please guide me if possible step by step. Thanks but please because very important data is there.

Do you have the web based management software running inside the OS?
    If so, it should simply be replace the drive and add the new drive to the degraded array, then let it rebuild

If you don't, you may need to reboot into the BIOS level RAID controller and do the same
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

First, use Windows Backup to make sure you have the data in that RAID array stored somewhere else, safe. Then, when the drive is making noise, simply pop it out of the slot and slip the replacement in (by all means, make very sure the replacement is a Dell-supplied part for guaranteed compatibility!!) After a minute or 3 you should see the lights on the drive go from a slow or occasional blink to an extended period of fast flashing, in sync with the lights of the other drives. This means that the RAID controller is rebuilding the full RAID 5 array by adding the new disk. While that's going on, the server may be a bit slow, so try to do the swap near the end of the day.

We also use Dell servers, and have seen this sort of thing before.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

RicklesP Thanks for your reply man, but should i follow your procedures while in remaining Windows Server or in BIOS? Thanks for step by step procedure.

Comment

As Ossian pointed out, it's assumed you have Dell's 'Server Administrator' software installed. That helps to ensure the automatic rebuild operation, and the GUI will report status of the operation, among other things. I've never had to reboot a server into the BIOS to replace a disk, but then I've always had SA installed. You don't have to configure anything once it's installed, it just talks to the BIOS/mainboard and gives you a comprehensive means of viewing/configuring all the hardware from a web interface. The basic RAID controller should begin the rebuild on it's own, because that's a basic idea of how RAID 5 is supposed to work. But without the SA, you'd have to be in the BIOS to verify that, if you don't trust the lights on the disks. SA is a free download from Dell. If you're nervous about the disk swap, you can use the SA GUI to offline the faulty disk, then swap it out, then watch it begin the rebuild.
          *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

RicklesP Thanks buddy, I just installed SA and removed the missing HDD and swap it with new one. Just wow everything was just so smooth, it rebuild automatically. Thanks

Comment

Glad it all worked out, and thanks for letting us all know.
              *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
              X