Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA to USB Reading as Removable Media

Hello,

I have an issue with a SATA to USB cable connected to a brand new Seagate HDD being read as a removable media drive instead of a hard drive, meaning I can't format it or allocate it in any way. I have tried it on multiple computers and with multiple drives, and the issue occurs no matter which drive is connected. I do not know the make/brand of the cable, unfortunately, but under device manager it is recognized as "ASMT 2105 USB Device." I have tried uninstalling it from device manager, having device manager search for new hardware, and rebooting my computer. None of these has worked to get it recognized as a hard disk drive.

I appreciate any help with this issue. Thanks.

The computer is reading it correctly as it will be the controller on the converter that will be telling Windows that it is a removable device.

Are you able to install the disk in the computer rather than using a converter?

Comment

Control Panel
      Administrative Tools
      Computer Management
      Disk Management
      and
      Right click the drive and Initiate it.

If that doesn't work, post a screen shot of the Disk Management so responders can see what is happening there.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the disk management screen. I have also confirmed that it is not an issue with my adapter or cable, as I was able to test them on an additional drive when I got to the office this morning, and it worked with that drive.

Comment

Update. I plugged the drive directly into the SATA cables on another machine. I was able to initialize and format the drive, but I still have no luck when I connect it to the SATA to USB cable. When I get access to the computer I'm working on, I will try connecting it to the drive cables for the optical drive and see if I can do the clone that way, bypassing the need for this SATA to USB adapter. It's still driving me crazy that the cable won't work, though.

Comment

Do you have another SATA to USB adapter you can try - since the drive seems to be OK
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do not have another adapter, unfortunately. I have a workaround for getting this drive cloned now, but it will not be using the adapter (which is still going to drive me insane).

Comment

USB to SATA Adapter . I have used this adapter now for some time without any issues, if that helps.

Comment

Using the SATA cable connected to my CD drive worked. I cloned the failing drive, swapped in the new one, and the machine is back in action.

Comment

I just had a realization. The USB to SATA cable I was using came with an enclosure for a 2.5" Form Factor HDD, but the drives (except for the one that worked) were all 3.5" Form Factor. Is there a difference between the cables that might have caused this failure?

Comment

Working...
                    X