Alternative webcam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative webcam

Can someone please explain how to disable the webcam in a Toshiba Laptop in order to use an alternative webcam plugged into a UB port. I have difficulty in showing a projector or TV Screen on Skype to a some or our club members who are housebound. We are wondering if another webcam will display the screen clearer.

It will depend on the OS, but if you go into device manager in most versions of Windows you can disable it.
    Also look for installed Toshiba software that manages the webcam

How would a web cam (an input device) affect the screen (an output device)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dunno why the housebound guys watching meetings on Skype cannot view any screen, but I tested it using the laptop webcam looking at the screen of this Win 7. Thought I can see the screen perfect using Windows Move maker, it just shows as a white blob with Skype. Perhaps it is Skype blocking such images.

Comment

Ah - I thought from your original post that the screen was on the computer with the web-cam, not on Skype

Does the person have problems with Skype from other people, i.e. is the problem definitely NOT with their computer?

EDIT - are you trying to use the webcam to look at a computer monitor? if so, the problem might be something to do with scan rates clashing - I believe Skype has a "show desktop" option for this case
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks I just noticed your kind reply. Whenever we have a speaker at our club meetings we like to offer the speaker the use of a projector and screen for his laptop or a VGA lead to a small TV. But when I use Skype on my laptop to allow three housebound members at home to see an hear the speaker they cannot see either on their screens. Yet I have no problem seeing either using the webcam on the Toshiba laptop at home here.

Thanks to your help I have fathomed out how to disable the laptop webcam using Windows Devices, and use any other webcam in case that helps. I should explain the blind centre we use have kindly told us the password of their router in a nearby room.

Comment

Working...
          X