No announcement yet.

No Sound

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sound

Someone has dumped an old PC on me with Windows XP Pro but no sound because the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties panel from the Control Panel shows No Audio Device.

How can I find out where I might download a suitable Driver etc to activate the sound please.

Re: No Sound

You might want to check IF it has audio at all -- go into the BIOS and look at settings
    If it does, make sure it is enabled and then locate the make and model. Go to the manufacturer's web site for the drivers

If no onboard audio, get a cheap soundcard or USB speakers (self installing)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Also check Device Manager and see if there are any devices showing with Exclamation Marks on them, sometimes XP will tell you what the device is or it may just show as Unknown Device.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog

Thanks. I see there is full sound card, but whether or not it is faulty or not I do not know. After a search I found and downloaded Drivers for the Motherboard Model : nVidia-nForce2 but still no indication of a driver present under Sounds and Audio Devices.

Another mystery I can see a second hard drive inside and showing in the CMOS as D: But when I click on it all I get is a box showing below. What does it mean?

Wireless Network Settings

Print this document and store it in a safe place for future reference. You may need these settings to add additional computers and devices to your network.

Wireless Settings

Network Name (SSID): <BLAH>
        Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): <BLAH>
        Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
        Network Authentication Type: open
        Data Encryption Type: WEP
        Connection Type: ESS
        Key Index:

To enable File and Printer Sharing on this computer, run the Network Setup Wizard.

To set up your Internet connection, follow the instructions from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
        Last edited by Wired; 18th September 2010, 05:27. Reason: hid SSD / key