No announcement yet.

CA Brightstor Arcserve tape strategy question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Brightstor Arcserve tape strategy question

We just installed BAB 12.5 on a Windows 2008 ent x 64 server. I have two questions.

Is there a way to create a 30 day rather than 7 day GFS rotation? We would rather run fulls monthly if at all possible and run incrementals in between.

We are using a Spectralogic t200 with LTO4. We want to maximize our tape usage though. Right now it appears that if we have a job that only uses 20% of a tape when the job runs the next evening it will goto another tape instead of writing to the same one. Is it possible to set it so it will keep using that tape in order to maximize things?

Re: CA Brightstor Arcserve tape strategy question

Perhaps the "Append to Media" check box at the Backup Schedule tab will do what you want. Or maybe Custom will work better for you, since you don't want to don't seem to want to use a traditional GFS scheme.

Re: CA Brightstor Arcserve tape strategy question

Remember to record usage of tapes.
      I don't know if it has changed, but last time I used tape backups, I had to be very strict about limiting each tape to 50 write cycles only,
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **