Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comitted RAM

Hello,

I am not sure that this is happening to me because I am a non-native English speaker, but I am failing to understand what "committed memory" is.

In my case, the Virtual machine has 2 GB RAM allocated but the committed memory is 4.5 GB . Is that what the machine is asking for, 4.5 GB RAM ?

I attach an image.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

It is the total memory (physical and virtual) allocated to the computer
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

​Yet, the host has a total of 8 GB RAM, and I allocated only 2 GB for this virtual machine. I still don't understand it.

Thanks once more!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Use (other search engines exist) to read up on virtual memory and page files - it is using drive space to simulate extra memory
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't mean to be rude here Ossian but if one is always asked to use a search engine, what is the point of an IT forum?.

Well, I guess it is for asking advanced question, which otherwise are difficult to be solved. I apologize, if it is so.
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

(sigh)... I gave you the one line explanation that virtual memory is making use of disk drive space to pretend the computer has more memory than it actually has, but there is a lot more to it, hence the suggestion to refer to other sources. I am not sure what more you want
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Sorry if I bothered you. I didn't mean to. You are REALLY helpful here. I apologize.
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Google is my best friend!!!

Comment

Working...
                X