Computer turns on and off by itself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer turns on and off by itself

So, for the past few days, my computer has been turning on and off by itself. Now I know usually if a computer shut shuts down by itself it means the hard drive is dying, but turning on by itself? I didn't know such a thing was possible. As I sit here today and hit the power button on my computer, it is not turning on at all. It is an Asus Essential Series and it has an Intel core i7. It runs windows 8. Anybody have any idea what'she wrong with it?

Desktop or Laptop?

Dodgy Power Supply?
    Some funny power saving setting?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Funky UPS, especially if the BIOS is set to return the system to last state (or whatever it say).

A bit more info might help MM.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Desktop or Laptop?

Dodgy Power Supply?
        Some funny power saving setting?
        It's a desk top. It's plugged into a power strip right now, but I've tried to plug it into the wall and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm typing this on my computer now, but it could turn off at any second. Also, it doesn't instantly turn off, like the power went out. I get the message "Your computer is shutting down" and then it shuts off after a few seconds. Also, at one point during the last few days I got a message saying that Windows couldn't load and it restored my system to its last save state. For some reason my computer upgraded to Windows 8.1 over the last few days as well. The problem still remains.

Comment

Have you scanned it with multiple virus scanners, anti-root kit, spyware and malware scanner......what have I missed?
          Online virus scanners. Google them.
          Spybot
          Malwarebytes
          Hitman Pro (free for 30 days)
          tssd killer (there are others)

Check the Event Viewer logs and see if there is a pattern. Do you always get the shutdown warning, ie a clean shutdown as opposed to a dirty one?
          Have you changed the power cable for a different one?
          Do you have a spare PSU you can swap out?
          Do you have a timeline as to when this problem started? Do you remember anything specific happening when it started?

If after that you still have a problem, find a spare HDD and install a clean operating system on it and see if the same problem continues. If it doesn't then it is likely a software issue. If not then it is hardware. I feel like it is a software issue since you are getting a commanded shutdown. See if you can find a pattern to them. That may help pinpoint it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I really didn't do anything to resolve it, but I haven't experienced my computer shutting on or off on its own for a day now. Just to be safe, I ran an anti virus program and it did find a few problems so maybe it was a virus that was causing this. I don't understand why it resolved itself on its own, though.
            '

Comment

Working...
            X