SCSI LTO4 drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI LTO4 drive

I'm searching for an LTO4 external drive that has a SCSI interface. All those I've found so far are SAS but our data server does not have a SAS connection. I've spoken to a guy I usually source our IT needs from and he was having trouble as well. Are LTO4 drives available in a SCSI flavour?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

A quick Google search reveals that you can still get them in SCSI, Quantum and HP both sell them. It's been a couple of years since I worked with tape drives but IIRC they were getting harder to source even then as SAS Tape Drives and USB Hard Drives were taking over much of the market.

Might be as easy to put a SAS card into your server though, which means that you maintain the option of using the drive with a new server, seeing as SCSI is pretty much dead these days.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks

One of the great things about throwing these questions out there is that people point out the obvious. I will get a SAS card for our server.

Comment

You're welcome. Had a very similar scenario myself hence the idea, we had a server with 9 months or so of warranty left that we knew was getting replaced, but the backups were getting far too big for the tapes which was an urgent concern. Ended up with an external SAS drive and a card so that the same drive could be used with the new server. SCSI Tape Drives were getting phased out at the time and starting to command a premium, so it was about the same price anyway.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm looking for a new tape drive for the same reason. Moving up from LTO3 (presently 4 tapes for a full backup), to LTO5.

Comment

Working...
          X