Dell T410 cant add 600 HD to raid controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell T410 cant add 600 HD to raid controller

my current configuration has two disks on raid mirror ,300 GB , i am trying to add a third , single disk and the menu for creating a new VD ( virtual disk) is greyed out.
    i can see the HD ST3600057SS in the foreign list , just after the two that are on line , but i cant do anything with it.

suggestions ?

ps. the current array is optimized and the disks are fine.

using esx 4.1 with server 2008r2 on it. i just need the disc for more space

You can't add a third disk to a mirror. You'll either need to set it up as a spare drive or create a new RAID partition.

Comment

I did not write that i wanted to add a third disk to a mirror .
      Problem solved ,
      i had to Clear the foreign configuration to create a new VD one.

Comment

I did not write that i wanted to add a third disk to a mirror
        Glad you fixed it but I (and most others) would read your original post as adding to an existing mirror
        my current configuration has two disks on raid mirror ,300 GB , i am trying to add a third
        wullieb1 - AFAIK you can have mirrors with > 2 disks (3 way mirror, for example), but I suspect you were saying you can't add additional mirror disks after creating the initial mirror
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Glad you fixed it but I (and most others) would read your original post as adding to an existing mirror

wullieb1 - AFAIK you can have mirrors with > 2 disks (3 way mirror, for example), but I suspect you were saying you can't add additional mirror disks after creating the initial mirror
          Yes I was.

OP sorry but I read that as you were wanting to add a new disk to the existing mirror.

Comment

Working...
          X