Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP problem with data logger/server

Hello All
    I am new to this forum, but an old hand at seeking help with this problem.

Firstly, I have contacted the manufacturer of this device (SMA Sunny Webbox at SMA home page, sma.de and go to monitoring systems and click on Sunny Webbox), and they are totally useless when it comes to providing technical assistance, so have been of no help. They showed no interest whatsoever.

The device is a data logger with an inbuilt webserver. Commands sent to the server user the JSON format.

The device also has an ftp service for extracting data files and forwarding to a pc etc.

The first step in setting up the device of course is assigning the IP addresses.

We completed the setup according to the installation manual, and everything worked correctly.

Since the initial setup a student using the device has set the network HTTP port to 21, and saved it in the config file on the server. Now we are unable to access the server at all. We have tried using the ":21" address, but no luck.

I'm at my wits end now and cannot see any way forward, and being sorely lacking in the IT area am seeking some tips and ideas (black magic even) to try to overcome the problem, and gain access to the server so that the network settings can be rectified.

I have a jpg file of the installation manual, but is too large to attach to this post.

I would be eternally grateful if somebody could assist, and realise that you may have more questions.

Thank you and best regards

Ray

Re: FTP problem with data logger/server

Is there some sort of "reset to factory settings" button?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Is there some sort of "reset to factory settings" button?

Just what i was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Just what i was thinking.
        Yes....there certainly is a reset to factory default switch....but guess what....just like SMA...it doesn't do a thing.

So.....back to the question......any ideas

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by rayclout View Post
          Yes....there certainly is a reset to factory default switch....but guess what....just like SMA...it doesn't do a thing.

So.....back to the question......any ideas

Ray
          Guys
          Attached is the config. file for the server.

The configuration information is written to an SD card on startup.

Regards
          Ray
          Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried all feasible options with the reset switch - pressing it, holding it for 2/4/10 seconds etc and all both while switched on and switched off? What does the manual say about using the reset switch?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Have you tried all feasible options with the reset switch - pressing it, holding it for 2/4/10 seconds etc and all both while switched on and switched off? What does the manual say about using the reset switch?
              Yes, Yes and Yes. The manual says to hold down the reset switch for 15-30 seconds for a reset on all settings including network settings.

We even opened the device and checked the operation of the reset switch, bypassed the reset switch with a hardwire...you name it, we did it.

I've moved on from the reset switch because it simply does NOT do anything.

Ray

Comment

Awesome

Uhh... can you SSH or telnet into it maybe? Spend half an hour trying every possible means of connecting to it you can think of. Hell it's even worth trying to connect using gopher

(Port 70, if you're not old enough to remember gopher )
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Rayclout, is this used to monitor solar panels that have been put on a school roof? What State are you in?

[edit] Never mind, just checked you location. Suggest you contact the NSW Education Dept and see if you can get access to their Technician's website. They will have rolled out many of these devices in the schools and someone will have an answer.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 5th August 2010, 00:55.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Rayclout, is this used to monitor solar panels that have been put on a school roof? What State are you in?

[edit] Never mind, just checked you location. Suggest you contact the NSW Education Dept and see if you can get access to their Technician's website. They will have rolled out many of these devices in the schools and someone will have an answer.
                    Done that too.....not a single stone left unturned, so that why I come on this forum.....to talk to some networking gurus.

Ray

Comment

As you can download the config from the machine can you upload a new config to it and change these settings??

<add key="NAT-Port" value="80" />
                      <add key="Webserver-Port" value="80" />
                      <add key="Webservice-Port" value="80" />

Also why the hell did the user chnage the port to port 21??? You do realise this is used for FTP.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                        As you can download the config from the machine can you upload a new config to it and change these settings??

<add key="NAT-Port" value="80" />
                        <add key="Webserver-Port" value="80" />
                        <add key="Webservice-Port" value="80" />

Also why the hell did the user chnage the port to port 21??? You do realise this is used for FTP.
                        The config file can only be READ from the server. It cannot be written to. The config file is saved to an SD card (if present), each time the server is started.

We realise that port 21 is used for FTP....but often students can do some pretty dumb things, but we cut them some slack for this.....they are still learning and their experience is zero.

Comment

Looks as if the makers know about the reset issue:
                          http://www.sma.de/en/service/faq/item/faq/171//172.html

Suggest you keep hassling them.

Does beg the question -- why were you letting students into this?

Thought -- can you FTP in and replace the config file that way?
                          Last edited by Ossian; 5th August 2010, 08:54.
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds like thay have some awesome quality control...

Presumably the "reset" you can achieve by disconnecting the power is actually just a reboot. Still, possibly worth trying cutting the power for 24h to see? Don't hold your breath though
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Suggest you keep hassling them.

Does beg the question -- why were you letting students into this?

Thought -- can you FTP in and replace the config file that way?
                              Ossian, thank you. I haven't seen that before. That makes me feel a little better about why the reset doesn't work.

Our students (uni) get a full hands on exposure to this type of work, and as I said they do make mistakes that all young players do. Look at it this way, its a good learning experience.

I have tried to FTP into it, but I get a timeout.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X