Plug & Play printer not recognized by win7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug & Play printer not recognized by win7

My win 7 ultimate (Hebrew) ceased to recognize my Brother MFC-5440CN printer. The printer is supposed to be a multi-function unit' but Brother failed to develop the needed drivers for scanning and faxing. Printing, on the other hand, was handed to the win7 MS drivers.

For some reason, the printer, which provided these limited printing services, stopped doing it.

I tried the following solutions, but none helped:

1. Installed vista drivers (there're reports on the net that this version adds faxing)
    2. Cleaned registry from all "brother" or "540cn" strings
    3. Reinstalled (Repair install) win7
    4. Ran sfc /scannow
    5. Took the printer to a Brother service, which found it in full capacity.

The first trial added my mfc-5440cn printer to the list of printers, but all printing jobs submitted got caught with a "Printing" mode report and with not response of the printer.

What's wrong?

Re: Plug & Play printer not recognized by win7

Not sure what's wrong, but have you tried installing it within XP Mode?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Plug & Play printer not recognized by win7

Originally posted by Wired View Post
      Not sure what's wrong, but have you tried installing it within XP Mode?
      I tried XP mode, but the message I got was that "The installer program is designed on for windows vista. Please use the CDROM supplied with your product for other Operating Systems".

I would rather try vista mode, but this option is greyed.

As to using a cdrom for my operating system, no such media exists for win7.

Comment

Re: Plug & Play printer not recognized by win7 - correction

Well, I wasn't familiar with win 7's compatibility procedure. I found a way to run it in vista mode, but the installation failed to notice the starting of the printer. Since this reaction is essential for the installation procedure, it got stuck. I had no choice but cancelling it.

Comment

Re: Plug & Play printer not recognized by win7 - correction

Try the XP drivers in XP, not the Vista drivers
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X