No announcement yet.

Converting 2008R2 Boot Drive To Raid 1

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 2008R2 Boot Drive To Raid 1

Installed the OS onto a drive I purchased as a 2TB drive which the label on the drive matches the Seagate catalog number for a 2TB drive. Side note - I converted our first server from a single MBR drive to a Raid 1 mirrored by simply installing the second drive, establishing the Raid and then doing a disaster recovery restore which worked first time out of the bag. Back to the request now - I discovered on our second server that the 2TB drive in the introduction of this message is in fact a 3TB drive with a portion of the drive inaccessible - 746gb of space unavailable... can't create a partition, can't format, nothing. In the beginning, I initialized the drive as a MBR disk as this was the boot drive and installed onto what I believed was the full 2TB but that is wrong. Is it feasible to install (2) 2tb drives, establish the raid, install server 2008r2 and then apply a full backup which contains the system state to overwrite the new installation and have it all work? I know that having the Raid established in the beginning would have been the proper thing to do but expense was an issue 2 years ago This machine happens to be a mail server (non-exchange, Lotus Domino/Notes) and would take many days to re-establish.

You need to convert the disk to GPT rather than MBR to access the additional space on the drive.

This software should assist

As always when messing about with disks you MUST have a full backup.

Thanks for the input, system board is a uefi board so that is a plus. What sucks is I specifically ordered a 2tb drive for this way back when but will work with what I have and get a second 3tb drive along with the partition manager. Thanks again for the recommendation.