Converting 2008R2 Boot Drive To Raid 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 2008R2 Boot Drive To Raid 1

Installed the OS onto a drive I purchased as a 2TB drive which the label on the drive matches the Seagate catalog number for a 2TB drive. Side note - I converted our first server from a single MBR drive to a Raid 1 mirrored by simply installing the second drive, establishing the Raid and then doing a disaster recovery restore which worked first time out of the bag. Back to the request now - I discovered on our second server that the 2TB drive in the introduction of this message is in fact a 3TB drive with a portion of the drive inaccessible - 746gb of space unavailable... can't create a partition, can't format, nothing. In the beginning, I initialized the drive as a MBR disk as this was the boot drive and installed onto what I believed was the full 2TB but that is wrong. Is it feasible to install (2) 2tb drives, establish the raid, install server 2008r2 and then apply a full backup which contains the system state to overwrite the new installation and have it all work? I know that having the Raid established in the beginning would have been the proper thing to do but expense was an issue 2 years ago This machine happens to be a mail server (non-exchange, Lotus Domino/Notes) and would take many days to re-establish.

You need to convert the disk to GPT rather than MBR to access the additional space on the drive.

This software should assist

http://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mb...data-loss.html

As always when messing about with disks you MUST have a full backup.

Comment

Thanks for the input, system board is a uefi board so that is a plus. What sucks is I specifically ordered a 2tb drive for this way back when but will work with what I have and get a second 3tb drive along with the partition manager. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...
      X