No announcement yet.

HP laptop not starting, blinking caps lock led, orange wifi led

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP laptop not starting, blinking caps lock led, orange wifi led

My daughter has an HP Pavilion DV6, that I have fixed the symptoms of a problem but would like to get to the bottom of the cause. The problem was that it wouldn't start, when you switch on you can hear the fan, the led on the caps lock bilnks continuously, and the led on the wifi key is orange. (It is normally white when working properly.

Having trawled numerous forums including HP I could not find a resolution, many suggestions such as reset the power, clean the memory and slots etc etc, followed by loads of entries from people trying all of these without succes

I eventually came across a post that said he had fixed it by simply wrapping the laptop in a blanket, switching on, leaving for 20 minutes then switching off and on again. This post was followed by dozens of people saying this worked for them.
    So, rather sceptically, I tried it and amazingly it worked. The laptop now starts every time without a problem. So aparantly problem solved.

However I would like to get to the bottom of this before it happens again. I want to find the actual reason for the failure and if necessary replace any faulty componants. I am thinking of selling the laptop but don't want to sell it to someone knowing it may fail in the near future.

My guess is that this must be heat related as wrapping in a blanket stopped the laptop cooling and it was very hot when I removed the blanket.
    The laptop now starts OK regardless of the temp, I left it overnight and restarted OK.

One final thing that may or may not be relevant, when it now starts I get a message saying the cmos battery needs replacing. I can change this without a problem but I don't think this was related to the starting issue.

Just for info here is the spec...
    HP Pavilion DV6
    AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor 2.1 GHz
    8.00 GB RAM
    64 bit Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Many thanks
    Last edited by cygnus; 8th June 2015, 10:35.

Haha - that is surreal

It goes against all the advice for keeping a PC healthy. If you discover the reason let us know. I suspect that the extended period of heat allowed the contacts to 'reseat' because the heat caused them to expand. However, I would definitely keep an eye on the machine from now on because although doing this may have solved your startup problem it may lead to other issues caused by too much heat.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Having had personal experience with the HP DV6, I know that they run very hot even though the one I serviced had an Intel i7 CPU and yours has an AMD which do run a bit hotter. I would strongly suggest you get a cooling fan to put the laptop on. Something along these lines Laptop Cooling Fans
      Departed: 23rd December 2015