HP RAID Config

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP RAID Config

Hi all, just a question on configuring a RAID setup if anyone can help...

We've got a client who is running a HP ML310 G5 server with only 1 x 250GB SATA hard drive currently, we need to add a 2nd 250GB and create a RAID 1 array for mirroring.

The server is currently running SBS 2003.
    My question is can we do this without reinstalling anything on the server? Is it as simple as plugging in the new drive, going into the RAID config section during bootup and creating a new array? Or is this a destructive process?

Just want to figure out what the simplest method for getting to a RAID1 setup is...

Thanks
    Shane

Re: HP RAID Config

If you are going to use the onboard hardware RAID 1 from HP, this will intialise the disks.

Look at bare metal backup/restore to resolve this one, there are lots of people out there that can do this such as Acronis.

If you backup everything to tape, do the RAID, and then restore it will not work as this is dissimilar hardware.

I would ;

1. backup the current disk with a bare metal utility, then put the disk to one side.
    2. Install 2 new disks into the server in a HW RAID 1
    3. Restore the bare metal image to the newly created RAID 1

Using this, you will always have a get out clause of disabling the hardware RAID and booting up from the original hardware for the price of a disk. I have done this myself in the past, and you can go back to square one if your first attempt fails.

Good luck

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

I would also agree that given the ridiculously low cost of 250GB SATA disks, it would be worth buying 2 new drives rather than one. One suggestion I would make would be to buy them from two different manufacturers, or at least different product lines, since a problem can occasionally occur with a whole batch of drives, and the last thing you would want would be for both drives to fail at once.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Damn, can you even buy HDDs that small now?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Great guys, I was going to image the system before doing anything anyways, least I know the steps now, cheers for the info...

In relation to the 2 different drives - so long as they are 250GB size they can be different makes? Didn't think that was the norm, but cheers for the info as well...

Shane

Comment

All they need to be is the same size. The same speed would help, otherwise the array will work at the speed of the slower drive.

Dell, HP etc etc will usually use the same make and model in their RAID arrays because it keeps costs down. And to be honest, it's quite rare that an entire batch of drives has a manufacturing flaw. But since it doesn't cost you any extra to protect yourself against it, I figure you might as well

Besides, different models hum at different pitches when they're spinning, so your servers sound more tuneful. Imagine how much more tolerable * the World Cup would have been if they made vuvuzelas speak at different pitches?

* yes, and more ******* annoying too, if it was possible to make football any more annoying.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What you need to make sure, is that they have similar specification. why? performance...

You can put a WD hard drive, with a Seagate Hard drive, without problem.. I prefer having same brand hard drive, but Like gforceindustries said, it's only because sometime you can get a bad batch, and this may cause problem. but it's a rare situation.

what I prefer, is to have a raid 1 of 2 same brand hard drive, and doing backup on a third raid or non-raid drive, external drive, or other server.

I use Symantec Backup Exec software, so I can put a raid driver when I restore image. I backup the entire drive, put it somewhere on a 3rd drive or somewhere else, then resotre image onto the onboard RAID 1 drive

Instead the other solution, a very simple, but I don't like this one, is to use Windows Dynamic disks. which you can create a RAID 1 like.
              Last edited by ChristTheGreat; 8th July 2010, 20:56.

Comment

Cool, we use Symantec Backup Exec on this server as well, need to just brush up on the process, but again thanks for the great info...

Bare metal backup - does Symantec offer this option? Or do I need something like Acronis?

Shane

Comment

BESR has an option in the restore boot CD which is: Restore Anywhere.

what it does, it delete Drivers, and ask to at the end to enter driver (you can use a USB disk with the good driver in). I did some restore when the server was in a Domain. I had much more difficulties when it was a domain, because sometimes the DNS has problem, or you need to have a system_state backup if it's old images.

anyway, maybe some other people have good solutions, been a long time I didn't work with BESR on a domain

Comment

I disagree with gforce here - if I was doing a RAID build, I'd prefer to get drives that are exactly the same, even down to firmware. THis probably means buying a couple of extras.

I can completely see the logic and reasoning in gforce's point though.

Im not quite sure why I have this mindset...
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

That was my understanding on RAID as well, since most servers that come with it already configured have all same make/model as well, but yes suppose there is a point in that if you happened to have a bad batch of model it could cause headaches! But I'll make sure the spec is exact to avoid any potential performance issues...

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel
                        I disagree with gforce here - if I was doing a RAID build, I'd prefer to get drives that are exactly the same, even down to firmware
                        But NOT with consecutive Serial Numbers.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X