Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Print

Hi,
    I have HP M2727 nf printer which is connected in the network. It takes long time to print, when i give any scanned document. Rest other pages are printing in normal speed. I'm unable find the root cause. Kindly share your experience if you already faced the same issue.

Mani
    Thanks,
    Mani

Re: Slow Print

When you say "give it a scanned document" I presume you mean something you have scanned elsewhere as a TIFF or PDF

Normally scanned documents are a lot bigger than other files as each page is stored as a bitmapped image at a fairly high resolution. Normal documents are transmitted as a stream of text and formatting instructions, so much smaller.

For comparison, use the "print to file" option and compare the file sizes of a printed and scanned file of similar page count.

You could configure your scanner to scan at a lower resolution and see what difference that makes, but quality would be reduced

Faster networking might help but it is likely the performance bottleneck is at the printer itself dealing with the incoming data. I suspect you may not be able to do anything.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah you are right, its scanned somewhere as a PDF document. Network is good which is having CAT6 cable and 10/100 mbps speed. It may be because of bit mapped/ high resolution file as you said.
      Thanks,
      Mani

Comment

If parts of the network are running at 10Mbps, get them upgraded to at least 100, preferably 1Gb from the print server to the print device

Check the print file sizes and you will have actual evidence when your users complain about slow printing speeds. Also ensure the file is spooling to the print server as fast as possible so users can resume other work (I presume you are using a windows print server, not direct from the workstations?)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Network will support 100 mbps. Workstations are directly connected to the printer thru network, not print server. I do not have much idea about print server.
          Pls let me know which one is the best option direct/ print server.
          Thanks,
          Mani

Comment

Direct printing is another bottleneck as one job will stop other users printing.

Do you have any windows servers on the network?

If so, install the printer on a server (just as you would on a workstation) and share it (in printer properties)

Then on the workstations remove the current direct connections and point them to the share (it will be \\servername\printername). You will gain a lot from jobs queuing up on the server rather than the clients.

If you do not have a server, do the above on ONE client, but be aware you will be limited to 10 connections only
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks for you advice
              I have windows server in my network , i can follow the stpes as you mentioned.
              That printer is multi functional (MFP), it has scan option also. My worry is "if i config the printer thru windows server, how users can do network scan?"
              Thanks,
              Mani

Comment

How do they scan at the moment? The two sides should be totally separate, with the printer driving the scanning -- either to email or using SMB to a file share.

If you are in doubt, leave the current direct printer connection but make the one to the server share the default printer
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I have received the printer setup cd with printer. If I run that setup we can connect the printer thru network and it will install scanning application as well. So users can do print and scan from their PC itself. After scanning it will ask you the destination path from client machine to store the documents, then we can save as per our convenient.
                  Thanks,
                  Mani

Comment

I have found on a straight scanner (a good Canon, forget the model), rendering the image for printing can take up to several minutes, depending on the image scanned to print.

What are the settings on the printer configuration page regarding printing of the job?
                    Are the workstations/ laptops up to the job CPU and RAM wise?
                    If you take Ossian's excellent suggestion and attach it to ONE client, make sure that client has the grunt to handle to job.

Was interested to note that it didn't support any Server Operating Systems (officially). I do not consider that to make it a small to medium business device but more of an expensive home office toy.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If it is a network device, I am sure you can treat the print side as "yet another network printer" and connect it up to a server and share it.

If it is as business critical as it sounds, buy or lease a proper MFD
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X